Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

high miles, ok to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Planert_NCI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default high miles, ok to buy?

Im going to look at a 91 S10 pickup some time today, and all I know about it, is it has a V6 (dont know which size), and it has a 5-speed. I also know it has really high miles at 239,000+. I know basic things to look at like fluids, and let it run then open the radiator cap and have some one slowly rev to see if there are any bubbles that show a possibly head problim, but I was wondering if anyone else has anything that I can check for simply while Im looking at it. Also, are these trucks usually good for that long? they said its mecanicly sound, but I dont trust everything I hear.

If you have any info I would love to hear it, thanks!

Louie

Old 04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: high miles, ok to buy?

if its a 4.3 it should last even after the body rots off the chassis...I've heard of them going for + 300K easily

Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 PM

lol well lets hope its the big boy then huh =D

(The boy is kinda rotting away tho =P )

Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I would be concerned with the suspension control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, end links, torsion bar bushings, upper & lower ball joints, motor mounts, transmission mount, and the intermediate shaft for the steering (U-Joint). I have over 388,000 miles on my S15 Jimmy (I am the original owner) and all those items needed to be replaced at one time or another. With a flashlightyou shoud be able to get a look atthe upper and lower control arm bushings.Withthe engine running check the oil pressure gage and make sure it is not low or high.Turn the A/C on and make sure the A/C cluthc engages. Make sure that the battery voltage is correct at the gage. On the test drive make sure it does not shake or wander. The engine should idle ok. not smooth but ok. Put the gear selector in and listen for a loud clunk. (could be bad U-Joints) Check the coolant tank for cracks or leaks. Same with the washer fluid tank. Thats about it. I know it isnot a new vehical but you do not want to have to sink a bunch of$$$$$ for repairs as soon as you purchase it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 PM

I bought it. its a beater, but what really sealed the deal was when he was willing to drive it 40 miles and back to get the money, and we did. i drove both ways, seemed ok. it was light out when I first looked at it, and from what I saw, it was ok. all levels seemed good, but it needs a coolent flush BAD! it doesnt look like he has added any because of the color, but it wasnt low eather, so I figure it cant be leaking. I noticed a small amout of smoke coming from the back, and he said one of the gaskets was starting to go, and that it wasnt too much of a big deal. clutch engaged fine, ****ed fine, no problims or weird sounds. box is shot. rust, but it runs, and from what I saw, runs good. little play in the wheel, not as much as my car. new tires, and newish exhaust. I talked him down to $400 cash (had to go to my bank in another town to get it tho lol)

Ill get pic's up tomarrow, then I gotta find the money to register it.

Louie