Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

how do you install a freeze-plug type engine block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how do you install a freeze-plug type engine block heater?

Hey,
I recently located from living with my parents in metro Detroit to western Michigan. I'm going to WMU, which is located in the snow belt. I want to install a freeze-plug engine block heater, but I don't know how I can, if possible, do so on this car. INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE!
How much of a job is it?
Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

to my knowledge they are hammered into the block, not threaded. cost me $400 to get mine replaced at a mechanic at $65/hour.

also available are electric heat pads that get epoxied to your oil pan or block or wherever you want. they sell for 60-80 bucks here. i had considered trying it untill i took my skid plate off and seen the grooved oil pan, took it back and got the freeze plug type. besides, im sure the freeze plug type works much better.....

i have no idea whats in your freeze plugs now, but whatever is plugging it, you need to get it out and hammer in the block heater lol

Old 11-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Block heaters typically are o-ring sealed instead of an interference fit like the original core plugs are. All of them that I have installed have a bolt in the middle of them that tightens down on a strap that goes inside the block. I just had to replace the one in my K5 because the old one was leaking. Pretty easy job provided you have access... On an s-series, it really isn't all that easy.