Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Intermittent Crank no Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:05 AM
Kana44 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rockp2
Just to be clear, I was more referring to wiggling the wiring harness from the ICM and CKP as they head back towards the ECM...not so much wiggling at the ECM to get it to stall. Maybe should have been more clear on that

Currently I am leaning towards the ignition switch/circuit or the CKP sensor/circuit. It's kind of good thing (for diagnostic purposes) that you are getting crank no start. Next time it has crank no start, watch your tach, the needle should flutter a tiny bit while cranking. This would indicate that there is a crank signal which should rule out a CKP/circuit problem.

There is a good video I'll find that can help diagnose if there is an ignition switch problem. Of course you're dealing with an issue that while your in the midst of testing, the truck may be ready to start and not be in the no crank situation so the test won't be helpful at that specific moment. I'll find that video and will post. It's faster and more visual than me typing it out.
Update: died again so shook wires out of CKPand tried to start, nothing. Tach needle: no movement while cranking but when i let off it bumped a little not sure if thats what you meant by flutter. Right now leaning toward Bad ECM but before i do that any other ideas?

Old 04-22-2024, 02:27 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

So the truck is not running now? As far as tach goes, seeing a bump/flutter on the needle while cranking tends to confirm a CKP signal, it's more of a field test for when you don't have someone to crank the engine while you are under the hood.

Did you check with your test light, as shown in the video, that the light lit with the key on at the coil connector?

If you didn't, and the truck is not currently running (or next time it cranks/no starts on you), disconnect connector at the ignition coil, test light connected to B(-), with key in the run position (KOEO), touch (don't shove) the test light to the pink wire terminal on the harness side connector to see if it lights. If it does light, while you are still holding the test light at the pink light connector, have someone crank the engine to see if it stays lit then also.

Let us know the results from that.

It is pretty unlikely, though of course not completely impossible, that your ECM needs to be replaced. Let's try diagnosing so you don't waste money on an ECM you end up not needing.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Kana44
Update: died again so shook wires out of CKPand tried to start, nothing.
The idea behind wiggle testing is to try to get it to stall when it's running, just like you did when you found the bad connector. This way your in your driveway/garage with time to work and tools handy on it if you do get it to stall.

Last edited by rockp2; 04-22-2024 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:32 AM
Kana44 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rockp2
So the truck is not running now? As far as tach goes, seeing a bump/flutter on the needle while cranking tends to confirm a CKP signal, it's more of a field test for when you don't have someone to crank the engine while you are under the hood.

Did you check with your test light, as shown in the video, that the light lit with the key on at the coil connector?

If you didn't, and the truck is not currently running (or next time it cranks/no starts on you), disconnect connector at the ignition coil, test light connected to B(-), with key in the run position (KOEO), touch (don't shove) the test light to the pink wire terminal on the harness side connector to see if it lights. If it does light, while you are still holding the test light at the pink light connector, have someone crank the engine to see if it stays lit then also.

Let us know the results from that.

It is pretty unlikely, though of course not completely impossible, that your ECM needs to be replaced. Let's try diagnosing so you don't waste money on an ECM you end up not needing.

EDIT:

The idea behind wiggle testing is to try to get it to stall when it's running, just like you did when you found the bad connector. This way your in your driveway/garage with time to work and tools handy on it if you do get it to stall.
Update: now about 90% sure the main problem is the ECM. Found out that if we unplug and plug back in the battery while it's dead it starts. which suggests that letting the computer reset itself allows it to start. also when checking live data on the car the numbers coming from the MAF sensor were really off so we unplugged the MAF and the computer still gave a reading from it. If completely replacing the ECM fixes things will update again