Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Leaking Remote Oil Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM
shrike96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaking Remote Oil Lines

Not sure if this is the place for this but..............
I have gotten sick and tired of those f**king leaking remote oil lines. If I replace them again, which would be a third set since i have owned this blazer, i would have to choke a chevy engineer!! So anyway I decided enough is enough and set about thinking a way to fix perment.

What i did was cut the crimp out and pulled the leaking rubber hose off. I removed both ends at the remote to allow me to clean it and align everything easy, I did not remove the lines at the engine block. I then replaced it with a piece of hose that was rated for 1000 lbs of pressure and 300 plus degrees. After that a simple fancy hose clamp with rolled egdes and holding a torque of 45 inch pounds finished the job.

Total cost of material was 55 bucks. List of parts was 5 feet of hose eight hose clamps and 4 small o-rings. Total was about 1.5 hours but i am sure i could hurried faster but I'll say this...........NO LEAKS AT ALL!!!! Been running this for about 30 days now and so far excellent results.

Not sure anyone else has gotten tired of leaks but for now i am leak free!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Leaking Remote Oil Lines

Glad you got it fixed. I had done something similar to my grandfather's old S10, but we brazed on some hydraulic fittings and ran hydraulic line.

Oh and we could do without the language...

Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 PM
classic_cruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried the same in the past with power steering lines too... I had always heard they were so high pressure that regular hose clamps won't work, not true! Of course, you always want to test...

Terry

Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between the power steering system and the oiling system is that the power steering system is working at +200psi while the oiling system is limited to a possible max of ~80 psi. The oiling system operates at higher temperatures however.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 PM
cain_45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard of this problem several times before, but what exactly is it? My Blazer has 60K on it and no oil leaks but I do monitor it closely because I've heard of people having this problem quite a bit.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

This is a leak at the oil lines going to and from the remote oil filter housing that is used on the 4wd trucks.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:11 PM

So this doesn't afflict the 2WD Blazers with the oil lines?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

I don't believe that 2wd blazers utilize the remote oil filter... Do you remove the filter from the engine block when you change your oil?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM

No I don't believe so. It is by the transmission in a "hole" made into the transmission bell housing.