Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Mixing coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Starting Member
mov4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Mixing coolant?

What's your opionin on mixing coolant? Some say don't do it and others say they have and had no problems with the mixture.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:09 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i mixed mine because at the time i bought this pig i had no idea wtf dexcool was, i just saw that my cooloant looked worng and topped her off with the green stufff

later, after having what looked like pond scum floating around in it, i had my system flushed. by then i had bumbled around this forum enough to know that you should pick one and stick to it (hence the check for the scum). so i went with the orange crap because thats what she came with

lived happily (in that area any way) ever after.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Starting Member
mov4x4 is on a distinguished road

Yea I had all green and mixed the orange in put maybe 3 shot glass sizes of it in the radiator and filled the over flow up with it.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Do not mix types

Mixing brands is ok

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

if you top it off, i'd suggest topping it with the matching coolant next time. the green crap is cheaper anyway...

as for your mixture, keep and eye on it. when you start seeing brown floaties swimming around in your overflow, it would be flush time.

pick and stick.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

A small amount of research here will tell you to never mix coolant types. The different chemical compositions do not play nice together.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

mixing green and orange, very bad! mixing yellow universal, with orange, also bad.

greens the way to go

Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

looks like previous owner already did the swap to green on this for me - but the rest of the ppl have given you the answer -

i'll just point this out: Dexcool (GM's bs coolant) has, from factory at least, a pre mixed in stop leak product, mixing the green in causes this to start acting like there's a leak and eventually the scum u see floating starts sticking to everything inside your motor, rad, tank, coolant paths.

also another interesting fact - dexcool is HELL of a lot more corrosive than the green is, damned crap chewed thru a few plastic parts on my sunfire that actually lead me to replacing the head gasket in the car (it was a 2.4 for those of u who know the difference and how much of a PAIN in the *** it is to do any sort of teardown on it.) when it didn't actually need it done. Since you've already mixed, plan to have that coolant system flushed in the next 2 weeks max so u get the crap out and im sure it likely needs a flush regardless, but ya GET IT DONE.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Starting Member
Moores12345 is on a distinguished road

Doing a coolant flush is pretty simple, I wouldn't mix any types either IMO.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, lets set the record straight here since some people prefer to be sheep and spread lies and innuendo instead of educating themselves on the subject.

Dexcool is NOT corrosive.
Dexcool does not contain stop-leak. That doesn't mean that GM has not put a stop-leak additive in some vehicles from the factory, but that is hardly to be blamed on Dexcool.
Dexcool has MUCH more in common with currently available "green" coolant than the majority of you guys even know.
Dexcool can be mixed with many different coolants, however, once mixed, the shorter service interval applies. One must also be cognizant of how long the majority of the coolant in the system has been in there.

The vast majority of problems with cooling systems result from lack of care & maintenance, at no fault of the coolant.

To educate yourselves on the subject, read through the thread below in its entirety and comment on that thread if you have something to add.
WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

*Thread Closed*