Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

More Oil cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Starting Member
gmbwrenchn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More Oil cooler lines

'97 Blazer 4.3ltr. 140k miles. I know there is a lot of talk out there about these lines. Since owning this vehicle I have had to replace the lines THREE TIMES. This most recent change about two years ago, with the three crimp style hoses. One set of them STILL LEAKS AGAIN!!! Any other style or manufacture I can go with for this problem item? GM doesn't seem to do a good job with this on-going problem! Thanks for the help.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: More Oil cooler lines

If you've replaced them that many times, I would definitely be looking for a different fix. Why not try any one of a number of DIY fixes, from cutting off the outer crimp and installing hose clamps to brazing on hydraulic fittings and having custom lines made...

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the tips. What about a Dorman replacement? Are they any better than GM?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 PM
1red88blaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Igot my replacements from Dorman and they have lasted me for two and a half years of ROUGH use. The big thing is making sure that if you have a body lift the lines don't rub on theinner fender well cause if they arerubbing on the inner fender wells when the engine flexes it will put too much pressure on the lines and start to pull them out of the fittings.just a thought....

Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never used the GM replacements, only the Dormans and haven't had to replace them in anywhere near the frequency that you have...

Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Starting Member

Thanks much.........got one set of Dormanson it's way. Hope my luck changes for the better. I'm getting really good at changing the lines quick!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Curt Krueger is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently replaced my oil cooler lines on an 00 blazer and I have to tell you that all the advice on this site made a very difficult job a piece of cake. The tip about gently lifting the engine about a half inch with a crow bar pushing against the transfer case and oil pan saved my sanity. Thanks to all the great posts on this subject.

Curt