Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Motor is supposibly locked up ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
LadyNightHawk12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motor is supposibly locked up ????

Ihave a 98 Blazer LS, with the 4.3 Vortex engine. There was water leaking, an coolent when in it. Had the lower and upper intake Gaskets replaced, an the mechainic said the oil, and oil filter had to be changed too. So that all got done. He said he got it to start once or twice, then it made a raddiling sound, an a tapping sound then that the motor locked up. I have worked on vehicals to a point all my life, an my dad has been a mechanice befor I was even born. But for the Love of Christ, neather one of us understand how this could of happened or what I need to do know. It is still at the garage, an I have no vehical. I three children, an I need my Blazer. Can anyone please help. I am a single mother, who has limited funds. But I do enjoy working on vehicals, just where I have lost so much weight, I was not able to get so parts apart, an that is the only reason I allowed for my Blazer to go to this garage....

Thank You ahead for any help.

Rebecca

Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Motor is supposibly locked up ????

Sorry to say this, but if the coolant was leaking into the engine oil, you could have spun a bearing and really toasted the motor. If a crank main bearing spins, it cuts off oil circulation to the rest of the engine... If ran too long, it can result in permanent engine damage.

The only way to truely know is to pull the engine and have a look at the crank. But knocking is never good!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it hydrolocked the motor. Pull the spark plugs and see if theres any coolant on the plug

Old 10-23-2007, 02:10 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

yea check the plugs and then if possible take a breaker bar to the crank and see if it will turn and then listen to the engine as you turn it for noise grinding scratching if it doesn't move then you need a rebuild or new motor