Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

MY problems after 4.3L intake manifold gasket replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

His truck will have the cast aluminum pan which is a bit deeper in the center section than the steel pan. Plus, you cannot move it backwards due to the mating surface on the front of the transmission bell housing like you could on the other engines.

Cutting open the filter is a good idea. It will show you if anything has gotten past the screen on the oil pickup. If something large got down into the sump though...

I use a chain pipe cutter to cut open filters:

Works GREAT!

Another idea is getting a hold of a bore scope and looking into the pan through the drain plug... I have been thinking about getting a bore scope for quite a long time.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Beginning Member
dunontme is an unknown quantity at this point

I cut the filter open and there is rag particals in it. so a rag and some of the old gasket material that the rag was catching was left in...now what?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the particles are in the filter, there most likely are larger pieces on the oil pump pickup. I would get yourself ready to remove the pan; either through removal of the front axle or removal of the engine. My vote is to pull the engine so you can go through everything properly.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jigger
Also if you have to take off the pan you might want to learn a second language cuz I'm sure you will run out of cuss words like old skool said! good luck
hey! i never said you'd run out of swear words. is that even possible?........

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If the particles are in the filter, there most likely are larger pieces on the oil pump pickup. I would get yourself ready to remove the pan; either through removal of the front axle or removal of the engine. My vote is to pull the engine so you can go through everything properly.
X2, 'cause you're definately gonna be going through that engine now.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road
Cool

Maybe that's just me, I speak english and a little spanish, sometimes it comes out as uninteligable jibberish. Like the bond cable on the back of the passenger side head- that:icon: was fun!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

<P>Old skool: Maybe it's just me, I know that ground on the back of the passenger side head left me a little language challenged!</P>

Old 11-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

well thanks for the help guys I know the problem now. I'v started a new post asking for help on how to fix this here https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/engine-removal-help-37031/
how do I delete this post?

Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you don't deleate a post. it stays up for others to use the "search" function, if they're having something similar happen to their truck.

Originally Posted by jigger
<P>Old skool: Maybe it's just me, I know that ground on the back of the passenger side head left me a little language challenged!</P>
just be thankful that you don't have large hands-you would've been making upa whole new language!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Beginning Member

ok I'll leave it up for the next dummie to leave a rag in his engine lol

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by dunontme
ok I'll leave it up for the next dummie to leave a rag in his engine lol
and he/she will thank you for your thoughtfulness, bwahahahaha!