Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need expert opinions: Can a front seal leak without bushing walking out

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Starting Member
drae77 is on a distinguished road
Default '88 K5 Blazer 700r4/4l60 front seal questions

1988 Chevy Silverado K5 blazer - 700r4/4l60 tranny

Can the front seal leak without the bushing walking out?

I need the opinions of some experts to tell me if what I believe is wrong with my tramny is or could be correct. I don't have the money to take it to a shop and get ripped off by them telling me I have to have it rebuilt if it does not need to be.

Here's my story: Junior, my baby, (my blazer) was sick and I ended up giving him an overhaul; a tune up, oil change, replaced distributor cap, spark plugs and wires, checked all and replaced some, wires, vacuum hoses, sensors, filters and valves, retimed him, reset the IAC, fixed exhaust leaks, and rebuilt the tbi. I did all of this and probably more without experience or prior knowledge of how to. I learned by researching alot then did most of the work myself with a friend who also is book smart but not a mechanic.
I finally got his engine running beautiful again! But then the tramsmissiom started slipping in reverse and when shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. I only drove it a few times and only a few miles with it slipping. (I drove to 2 tranny shops). They both told me that I needed to rebuild it without even looking at it or driving it. They also said it would cost me $1200 to $1500 as long as there were not unforeseen additional problems!!! Rip offs right?

So I tried to figure out if I could diagnose and fix it myself because I do jot have the money for a rebuild. I decided to replace the filter and pan gasket. The gasket needed replacing anyways because it had a slow leak since I bought it a few years ago. It only leaked about a quart per year maybe longer. So when I put the pan back on i tightened it up correctly and torqued it to specifications. No leaks there! But when I started him up he started leaking very badly behind the torque converter. I have been told that it is the front seal and that the bushing probably walked out.

I am now disabled and need my hip fixed and can't pull a tramny out. Plus I am a woman so I probably am not strong enough to do it besides being disabled.

So finally here's my question... Could it be that because I did not have any issues with his tranny or 4x4 until I worked on the engine, more specifically the TBI, maybe the seal is leaking without the bushing walking out and without needing to take the pump and/ or the tranny to have it rebuilt?

What I think happened is when I rebuilt the TBI I was unaware how important the TV cable was and just popped it on and off (many times while working on him) not being cateful at all. I think it was not adjusted correctly because of being so careless. Which made him slip. Then when I replaced the gasket pan, I fixed the original leak that he had for years, and not knowing about the vent tube on the top of the tranny, which I found out later was plugged up with gunk, the seal blew out from pressure when I started him up. Does this sound possible? And is it possible that I only need a new seal? Or does the bushing definitely "walk out" every time the seal leaks?

Also I tried adjusting the TV cable by using the pedal as I read online and my brother was under him with the pan off as I did it. I do not know if he messed with it while I was adjusting it. So my 2nd question is about how much should I be charged if I am right about everything and ask a mechanic to do the following:

$ Replace the front seal
$ Check inside the pan making sure nothing is out of place and fixing anything that has been moved
$ Replace the pan gasket since the pan is off
$ Inspect and adjust the TV cable
$ Check the o-ring at the bottom of the dipstick and replace of needed (brother messed with it)
$ Fill him up with new tranny oil

What do you guys think? It shouldn't cost much roght?

Thank you ahead of time for reading this long post and answering my questions!

Dannielle & Junior

Junior is a 1988 Chevy Silverado K5 blazer - V10
With a 350 tbi engine and a 700r4/4l60 automatic 4x4 transmission

Last edited by drae77; 02-17-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Title did not get replies