Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need opinions!! Marvel Nystery oil....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need opinions!! Marvel Nystery oil....

Does anyone here use it in their gas tanks??? Do u like it? Have you noticed any differences in the running of the vehicle after use?? Thank you to all who can give sum input here on this... Oh and i`m not sure if i posted this in the right section, if not- sorry!!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Need opinions!! Marvel Nystery oil....

As far as gas additives go, there are better products (Chevron Techron Plus or GM Fuel System Treatment Plus to name two)...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never used it in the gas tank. Howver I have used it in the oil system to clean it out. Ever 100,000 miles I run a can of it throught eh oil system per the instructions. I do that for two oil changes in a row. Last truck with teh 4.3L had 286,000 miles on her and the engine was as strong as an ox. My current truck has 155,000 on her and still runs like a champ.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Marvel Mystery Oil is a good product. It has been around since before I was a kid in the 1950s. I agree for modern fuel systems I like & use Techron. I also use Acetone 1oz/10 gals of gas. I have used Acetone for years it keeps a fuel system clean plus I have seen an increase in milesage on modern computer vehicles. My TB would get 22+ with acetone, about 21 at best without it. This is regular road mileage not in town.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:12 PM

Thank you to all who responded so far, I have used chevron techron b4, I also have used the acetone in the tank in my 93 Chevy van... I was sent an email from a friend in ref to problems that the acetone was known to cause in engines, so i stopped using it because i didnt want to harm anything in the eng..I`ll see if i can find that info and i`ll post it here..

Old 03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Starting Member
klote82 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used it in my ram. It was supposed to help with a lifter tick. didnt do a dam thing..

Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 PM

I have a friend with a 2005 Dodge Ram and he also has a tick in his engine.. The dealer where he took it to said theres nuthin wrong its just a seal in the engine, Ummmm Me personally have never heard anything so stoopid in my life... Thats prob why i own3 GM veh and not a chrysler...The craziest thing that made his eng stop ticking for a little while was when we changed the 16 spark plugs which took 2 hours to do...that didnt last long plus one of the plugs on the drivers side had oil on it... he told the dealer that and they said thats also normal with the Hemis...

Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

In its time MMO was a good product and I saw it help clean the upper cylinders on cars back then. Today, I agree with Kyle and would use Techron Concentrate Plus instead, unless MMO has changed it's formula (which I doubt) to better work with modern engines. In my opinion, the only additives I would put into my truck would be Techron CP, Seafoam,or Auto-Rx depending on what I was trying to help my engine with.

ORIGINAL: 2002XTREME
I have a friend with a 2005 Dodge Ram and he also has a tick in his engine.. The dealer where he took it to said theres nuthin wrong its just a seal in the engine...
Not unknown. It's referred to as 'the hemi tick' and is not uncommon in Chrysler's new line of 'semi-hemis' (as I call them). What causes it - dunno.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: 2002XTREME

Thank you to all who responded so far, I have used chevron techron b4, I also have used the acetone in the tank in my 93 Chevy van... I was sent an email from a friend in ref to problems that the acetone was known to cause in engines, so i stopped using it because i didnt want to harm anything in the eng..I`ll see if i can find that info and i`ll post it here..
I'm a retired mechanic who has run acetone for years. There is a lot of pros & cons articles out there on ACETONE. But from my real life experience of using it for years , it has never caused any problem with any car or truck I have run it in. My friend has a 02 D3500 with a pumped Cummins 12 valve & he has run it for years also in his diesels. I heard it would hurt the Vortec spiders. Well in 3 years & 70,000 miles it never did anything to them. I was even told it would harm the paint on a vehicle, so i spilled it several times on a couple of my NEW Trucks, never noticed any paint damage. I had guys tell me it would eat up the plastic in tank pickup screens. So I soaked one in pure acetone for a week it was never affected. Acetone helps atomize the gas or diesel more completely. I have a friend that worked for GM in Flint for 30 years. He was with Buick engines. Even he agreed Acetone wouldn't hurt any GM engine. He wouldn't speak for Ford or Dodge. I can it has run 10 years in a 460 Ford with no trouble, & I ran it in my Dodge for 2 years No problem. The only thing I really notice is better gas mileage on some & I seldom ever change fuel filters. My 460 was last changed 5 years ago. I never changed one on our 04 TB, 3 years & 70,000 miles. My buddy with diesels found he had to change fuel filters less.
Just sharing real world experience with anyone wanting to know.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most all of the 'bad press' about acetone is when it is used in large concentrations. It CAN damage things when it is in higher than recommended concentrations. 1oz to 10 gallons is a safe concentration.