Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need to replace motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007 | 12:41 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Need to replace motor

ORIGINAL: brittlevimom

96 Blazer 4.3 Vortec motor - having trouble finding a Vortec motor can I replace with a 4.3 block and conect the Vortec back up from my motor?
Any 4.3L from '96 on. Swap your intake manifold and sensors into the new engine and it will work just like your current engine.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

eh em! 350
Amen!
and for less then $2000.

ORIGINAL: BigGreenMonster
ORIGINAL: swartlkk

There is quite a bit more to the induction/injection system changes over the years. In this case, any '96+ 4.3L from a GM vehicle will fit the bill, as riddle stated!
Not to hi-jack the thread, but this raises a question I have. I had/have the opportunity to get back the TBI engine from my old 89 (Its a bit more powerful than the CPI in my 94 due to it being bored out and stuff). What exactly would be involved swapping the TBI from an 89 into a 94 CPI?
Swap the intake manifold and block sensors from the '94 onto the '89 long block.

Thanks for the Kudos Kyle.
I love that tech article about the 4.3L changes over the years. Full of info.

Old 10-27-2007 | 04:22 PM
fulltimehustler is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: BigGreenMonster

LOL! Vortec is not like V-tec in a Honda, its not something that needs to be "hooked up". Its just a name. Finding an engine should not be very difficult at all really. You've got quite a few vehicles to choose from if you are looking at a junkyard special, Astro Vans, S-10s, Jimmys, Blazers. GM played with the injection systems all through the 90s, but I'm of the impression that all will work with minor wiring changes, and maybe a different ECM...
i haven a 93 blazer wit 4.3 vortec...pulled it out and was going to replace with a 4.3 from a astro van but it wouldnt work at all...because the4 vortec engine has a balance shaft and the Astrovan didnt which means it would throw the engine off(im sure)...we were thinkin we coould just change the heads (if needed) and put the vortec on the astrovan but once we started overhauling we decided to just keep the original engine and rebuild it, so im waitin for parts now once they come in ill put the engine back together and hopefully it will work out fine...funny thing is one of the rods on a piston was bent...i had the crank machined and thATS when we noticed the bent rod. so now ive taken a piston out of the astrovan engine and will use it in the vortec, im hopin it will work...

Old 10-27-2007 | 07:11 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: fulltimehustler
...funny thing is one of the rods on a piston was bent...i had the crank machined and thATS when we noticed the bent rod. so now ive taken a piston out of the astrovan engine and will use it in the vortec, im hopin it will work...
Have you read this article, especially the parts about cranks, rods, and pistons?
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar40047.htm