Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New thread about a Hall effect Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 PM
87jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default New thread about a Hall effect Sensor

Sorry i had to start a new thread about a no start condition because I searched for something and could not find an answer.
Here is my situation, I aquired an 87 s15 jimmy from a friend that he had stopped driving ten years ago because of a blown intake gasket. After I replaced the fuel tank,fuel pump,Fuel sending unit,Fuel injectors,cap,Rotor,plugs, and plug wires i finally got it running.
A few days ago I changed the intake gaskets and pulled it outside and it was seriously under powered and wanted to die at full throttle and got so bad it would only idle. Now it has no injector pulse and will not start!
I hear so much about a Hall effect switch but I honestly don't think my jimmy has one? I replace the Ignition control module in the Distributor,the MAF sensor and the ECM today and still have no injector pulse.
I guess I have narrowed it down to the big *** oil switch by the filter or the throttle position sensor unless there is a Hall effect sensor hidden in the distributor somewhere? Is it under the Ignition control module?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 PM
87jimmy is on a distinguished road

It was the Throttle Position sensor thanks for all of your help!

Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 87jimmy
It was the Throttle Position sensor thanks for all of your help!
Why do you think a TPS would result in no injector pulse??? Seems like you're all over the place on this one, and probably why you received no responses originally. Let me tell you a story.

I once had a 1989 S10 2.5L 5 speed that had an intermittent problem with dying along side the road on my way home from work and then would not restart for some period of time. It went on for several years. But usually by the time I got my wife to come rescue me it would then start in her presence. But before she came I can say that no injector pulses were observed - probably like yours. I went through replacing a number of parts that each time I was sure would fix it. I eventually learned that simply manipulating the wiring harness on the passenger side of the engine would immediately fix the problem for several weeks to several months. I never found the exact problem with the wiring harness, but I can say that replacing the complete wiring harness (all the way from the PCM on that side of the engine (junkyard) fixed the problem forever.

If yours did start after replacing the TPS, I suspect a similar problem with the wiring harness. After all you did manipulate it to disconnect/reconnect the TPS, right? Point is, don't be surprised if it does it again and based on what you have told me about it starting after changing the TPS, I would suspect the problem to be similar to mine. No guarantees of course. p.s changing that wiring harness is a bearcat. good luck

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-24-2017 at 03:20 PM.