Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil Leak & Rattle 97 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member
nate.chesebro is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Leak & Rattle 97 4WD

Hello

finally got the battery charged up and started the blazer up after fixing a couple things on the interior. While working on non-elecrical things (carpet, panels, etc.) I let the engine run for about 20 mins.

While doing this, I noticed that my brake light AND check engine light is now on. put it in gear, moved forward and back to see if anything changed (not legal yet) and nada.

Its too dark out right now to get a look at the brake fluid - the previous owners just had the brakes redone not long ago, so I suspect it might be just low fluid, but that is worth futher exploration at a later time...

The part that has me more concerned is that I noticed a rattle noise, emitting most prominently from under the vehicle, and a few ounces of oil on the ground and dripped along the path where i moved the blazer back and forth.

Took a look underneath, and the bottom of the oil pan appears to be caked in oil of some sort, as well as fresh oil on the dark side.

I do know for a fact though, that the oil has appeared for the first time today, as I have had it running like this before without issue, or check engine light, or brake light. This is all new as of tonight.

The oil is like a watered down hershey syrup - and likely not as tasty... cant tell if there is any tranny fluid in it, but it could be possible.

The one thing I did that I later found out you are not supposed to, in my desire to push every button, and I messed with the 4hi 4lo buttons in park. Yep. Stupid move on my part. I am just wondering if that may be the cause of the problem, and if so, what did I mess up and need to fix now, or, is this another problem?

- nate

Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member
nate.chesebro is on a distinguished road

Discovered that the park brake was slightly engaged. I am guessing that i used the pedal for leverage squirming around underneath fixing the panels.

Plus side to that, the brake light is back out, the brake is off, and i learned the trick to it... the release lever does not extend out far enough to release the brake, you have to reach up inside the dash and pull on the cable to get it to release.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

so brake issues fixed? Now for the leak....time to get it legalized and take it to the car wash. Pressure wash the heck out of the bottom etc,then drive like hell home to get it to leak. then grab your flashlight and start digging. that'll help finding where its leaking.