Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil Presure

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Vermilion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Presure

I never noticed before. But should my oil presure gauge be staying steady at one point, or should it be going up,and down as I stop and start? Mine is doing the up and down. (GOD I hope it's the up and down!!!!)

Old 08-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Oil Presure

That is normal. It should vary from idle in gear to cruising down the road. So long as you don't go below something like 6psi, you're fine.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gose from 42 driving down to around 20somthing when I stop(thats on the gauge). THANK YOU AGIN!!!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem! That's what we're here for!!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Well you guy's are a great group!!! I really wanna fix her up, but I'm so removed, and so not knowing enuff about automotive topics!! But having all of you as a support makes me not as reluctant. She will be a prime ride (I hope, as long as I can keep the wife on board!LOL) If you ever have any Servo motor questions just holler!! LOL Thats were all of my expertice is at (if you wanna call it that!)

Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM
MVPalmer271 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I actually just noticed this today and I becam scared. At idle the gague waslike pinging around 20 and dirving it was a steady 43 and with my foot in the throttle heavy (for test sake) around 60. So your saying this is perfectly normal. That makes me happy. I just wounder why I haddn't noticed it earlier?? Does it happen all the time??
Thanks
Michael

Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

That's a pretty wide range, but perfectly ok. Every engine is different. With the oil pump being driven off the cam (well off the bottom of the distributor), it is normal to have the oil pressure rise with engine RPM.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

and if you watch that guage long enough you can tell when you ned an oil change. When the oil gets thicker the psi will drop. When you change your oil it will go back up.