Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

P1133 Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Beginning Member
Tenagator is on a distinguished road

True, to many times people think "its new, so its good" Not the case, I have had issues with brand new parts in the past. just didn't have a tester for the fuel line, but now, I think ill go rent one or find one.
I used a Bosch pump, was told to stay away from Airtex.
maybe I got a defective injector, but as I said I had someone do a few key turns while I was watching for any leaks and didn't see any or raw fuel inside the plenum.

I hope, it appears to be coming from the area where the lower rad hose connects to the pump, but its to tight and I couldn't even see with a mirror, but I believe it right behind there.
So if I go tonight when he is done working ill do the coolant test and the fuel if he has a gauge.

Thanks

Last edited by Tenagator; 01-21-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

As for the leakdown, you might not see it in the plenum, but that doesn't mean it's not leaking in there. You definitely wouldn't see it if it's in the tank Bosch pumps rank right up there with Airtex and Carter. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if you have some leakdown going on in the tank. In fact, it would surprise me if you don't have leakdown in the tank

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
As for the leakdown, you might not see it in the plenum, but that doesn't mean it's not leaking in there. You definitely wouldn't see it if it's in the tank Bosch pumps rank right up there with Airtex and Carter. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if you have some leakdown going on in the tank. In fact, it would surprise me if you don't have leakdown in the tank

Oh geez...well if so its covered by the garage.
Would a fuel pump leak give bad mileage though?

How can I properly check the fuel pump?
I know for the regulator I was able to give the pump power so the gauge went up and then, after the fuel filter crimp off the two rubber lines to see if the regulator was holding, so what is the best way to check the pump?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the fuel pressure is too high or too low, and/or leakdown too high or too low, it will absolutely cause poor fuel mileage.

Check fuel pressure and leakdown at the service port. Key on, engine off, fuel pump running: pressure must be 55psi to 61psi. Pressure must remain above 50psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Post your results. They will tell if the fuel delivery system is working as it should. If there's a problem, the source can be located rather easily. Crimping off lines can destroy the fuel pressure regulator. If there's a problem with pressure and or leakdown, we'll cross that bridge.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I will work on this and post an update.
BTW I do have an ABS light on....not sure if it would be issue to cause poor mileage. I assume its a board issue that needs soldering. Wheel bearing good, checked the lines for the sensors on hubs, cleaned the sensors too and all seemed fine.

Last edited by Tenagator; 01-22-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Beginning Member

Took me a bit but today I got a Fuel Pressure tester.
Hooked it up, powered the fuel pump, the needle goes to 60-62, pump off and it drops to 20 almost instantly.
So, I pulled the plenum off, just to be sure its not the spider/fuel regulator and it is not. I had it opened up and powered the pump to check for leaks and there are not any.
So its the fuel pump, but how to I check before I drop the tank?
And easy ways to test it out? It is a Bosch pump.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A faulty FPR (fuel pressure regulator) can cause the symptoms you are experiencing without a noticeable leak in the plenum as it can dump into the return line to the tank. It could also be the check valve in the pump. The best way to tell which it is would be to install the gauge on the output from the pump, blocking off the rest of the system. The tech article on testing fuel pressure details this.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member

When I had the plenum opened and the pump had power, the spider assembly did sound like it was "leaking air" but no fuel.
Now I am not sure how it should sound due to it being pressurized but I'm sure there was no fluid leak.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

I will try to make what is listed in the article to attach to the line where it would go into the fuel filter.
Then if there is no significant drop in pressure I will now its not the pump and the regulator.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member

So I attached the pressure gauge to the end of the filter with some fittings and here are the readings and times after 1:41 mark it still heald around 62-63 psi , it didn't drop at all even after 35 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails P1133 Code-935149_10201471789744809_1765211169_n.jpg   P1133 Code-1604395_10201471790104818_1332482331_n.jpg   P1133 Code-1555495_10201471790424826_1620906402_n.jpg   P1133 Code-1010403_10201471791104843_50400635_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: P1133 Code