Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

P1952 OBD Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Luke Ash is on a distinguished road
Old 07-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

OK, you got my attention.

I've never seen that sticker, and I don't think I've ever seen that PCM either.

The sticker exists in the GM parts catalog. You can still order one of those stickers. That is really weird, because according to the catalog, it wasn't installed in any GM vehicles, and according to the government (EPA), there were no "certification" tests for "OBD 1".

According to the GM catalog, the PCM doesn't exist, hasn't been superseded, and as far as I can tell has never existed. That's also very weird, not just because you sent the picture of yours, but also because AC-Delco has a part number for a remanufactured unit.

Which GM plant did yours come from? That's in the 11th VIN position. The 10th position is the model year, and it's "S" for 1995. After that is the assembly plant (2=Moraine OH, E=Linden, NJ are the most likely), and a six digit serial number. Also, what month/year was it assembled (Month and year are on the door (jamb) sticker). Is yours an automatic transmission? Or manual?

Also, if you check the wires behind the DLC/ALDL, you can tell if it's OBD-II or an older 16 pin ALDL. Both have battery power at Pin 16 (bottom/narrow side of D, right most pin), and ground on pin 5 (top, just right of center). Look for a wire on Pin 2 (second from the left side, top/wide side of the D). OBD-II for 1996 used that pin for data, and that's one of the pins that "Generic OBD-II" tools use. Pin 9 (left most, bottom/narrow side of D) is the data pin for ALDL. You'll have one wire or the other, but not both (except for Australian built Holden cars including Australian built GTO's which do have both wires, and data available to both pins).

If there's a wire on PIN 2, it is wired for OBD-II protocols, even if it hadn't yet passed the EPA OBD-II certification tests. If there's no wire on Pin 2 and there is a wire on pin 9, you'll need a 16 pin ALDL cable and a scan tool that can read from that.

I suspect that one is actually OBD-II, but installed before GM officially passed the EPA certification tests with it. Partly I say that because you're getting a P(four digit number) diagnostic code from it, and if it was ALDL/early OBD, it would only know about 2 digit codes. It also has the same wiring connectors as the OBD-II controller, although some of the OBD-II controllers have a "White" connector where yours has "Gray".

Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Luke Ash is on a distinguished road

I have K in VIN, so it looks like it´s from Japan
Maybe I forgot to mention that I´m in Norway and the car was bought here in Europe.
Looks like it came from Kosai, Shizuoka, Japan
Anyway, Craftsman scanner arrived and it works just fine
The DTC is P1406. EGR valve pintle position circuit.
Looks like I had to disconnect the sensor when I was changing the cables, rotor and the cover.
But thank you for all the useful information.