Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Possible bad starter maybe.....again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
mthomasc is on a distinguished road
Default Possible bad starter maybe.....again?

I have a 1999 T10 Blazer w/4.3L engine. I had what I thought was a bad starter. No sound only dash lights would turn on when turning the key. Smacked the starter a couple of times and that would make the vehicle turn over. This happened a couple of times before I decided to replace it with a used starter. The used starter worked great for about a week and a half. Now the truck is back to square one.....lights on the dash but no response from the starter. I am about to remove the newly purchased, used, starter and return it for another one. I don't want to pound on this one because it will void the warranty. Does this sound like another bad starter or is something else at fault here?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Always, always, always check the batterie connections first before looking at the starter. These corrode easily and it reduces the amount of amps you can pull. So your dash lights will work but it can't pull enough amps to run the starter. Next check the batterie itself. Is it charged? How old is your batterie? Is it sulfated? (if it's sulfated you will see higher voltages then normal and when you put a load on it. It will drain realy fast but then jump right up to the higher voltage reading) If those are ok check the connections to the starter and selinoid. Also check to see if you have a good ground to the starter itself. The starter grounds through the frame of the starter and if corrosion has found its way behind the mounts then that would also do it. If those are good then you might have a bad starter. 80% of starters changed and replaced aren't bad they just have bad connections going to them.