Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Pretty sure my alt died, (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Starting Member
gaspricessuckk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MTopper
What subs are you running right now in your truck? i'm just curious
for now i have two kicker L7 10;s at 600 rms a peice, i have a third one, i might be trading two tens for a 12 L7 i plan to get another 12 and two 15's for now then sell all that and get solo x's

Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Starting Member
gaspricessuckk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
I just replaced my alternator on Sunday. I was getting weird voltage readings when various stuff was on, so I went to Advance Auto Parts and had it tested. They said that there was a ripple and that the Drain Test was showing suspect and other numbers were off, so I replaced the alternator on Easter Sunday. Here is the website I used to get the instructions in case you haven't done it before: http://www.handymanlyness.com/archiv...ce/99_gmc.html

I haven't done any repairs like it, but it was easier than I thought. Getting it off the engine is the hardest part. Have a pry bar handy. The belt can also be difficult removing it from the engine. Also my recommendation: get a battery brush from Walmart and CLEAN ALL OF YOUR CONNECTIONS. That helped alot and now my truck runs at a constant 13-14v no matter if I have nothing turned on or everything on(rear defroster, high beams, fog lights, new driving lights, heated seats, a/c, radar detector, GPS, LED lights, radio, Sirius, backup camera, the whole nine yards!). Also I bought the remanufactuered alternator from Advance for 129.99 + 25.00 core. Seems to work well for the price. Good luck.

already replaced, this alt gets 210 max amp