Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

random misfire, rough idle, raw fuel out the tail pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Starting Member
D.T.Roberts is on a distinguished road

The sulphur smell is due to the raw gas going into the catalytic converter. Check your distributor cap.
I had this exact same thing happen about two months ago.
If you pull the dist cap, look closely. You will probably find a discoloration between two posts. It may have burned through inside the plastic and is cross firing. If this is the case, certain cylinders will fire at the wrong time and not burn the fuel correctly. This causes raw fuel to enter the exhaust. Some will off burn inside the CAT converter (causing the sulphur smell) and some will come out the tailpipe unburned. But most of all, you will have very poor running and lack of power.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Beginning Member
JohnnyALCATRAZ is on a distinguished road

Yeah it was my spider, the number one injector, as per my post previous to yours.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member
Z3r0t0l0rEnCe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JohnnyALCATRAZ
**UPDATE** I had my mechanic friend come over and hook it up to his bi-directional scanner, he found that the PCM had logged over 1100 misfires in the No. 1 Cylinder in the two hours of run time since it began acting up, so yeah...spider is/was bad. I also decided to go ahead and change the lower intake gasket, as it's leak had begun to increase, dramatically. anywho, got the upper intake off and found that i also had a leaky FPR, though it passed the fuel pressure test. Picked up the new Delphi spider with the mini injectors and ye olde lifetime warranty from Linder Fuel Injection (plug) in Speedway, IN for the same price as knockoff reman at the parts stores , so yeah, win there. Had the Intake cleaned and started putting things back together when one of the new intake bolts i had bought failed and broke off in the head while setting it to torque...so off comes the head, and also goes into the shop where they remove the bolt so we can re install...only to find out we need a angle torque meter...well we get that, put it all back together and it runs like a champ, except it doesnt want to start...so i get it going and take it to the dealer to have them do a CASE relearn and find that the dist was advanced one tooth due to the oil pump shaft being in the way ...even improved the fuel economy by about a 1/2 mpg, not great, but compared to my brothers Ram with the 4.7, my blazer looks like a smart car...we did have a bit of an issue where i thought that it was still leaking coolant, but a close inspection revealed a hose clamp out of place...anyway, i though i'd bring some closure to the thread and thank everyone who helped. now its back to mods rather than repairs...

When I did the intake gaskets on my 98 2wd I had a bolt break off too. You can pull it from the bottom like I did using vise grips. I bought another bolt and torqued it to specs without taking off the head.