Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rebuilt transmission acting up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM
melliferal is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuilt transmission acting up?

I just rebuilt the transmission in my 95 Jimmy, installed great. The transmission had no 3/4 gear and no reverse; both of those problems now fixed. Truck now always reverses instantly and strongly with no problems whatsoever; vehicle also does fine in OD and D at highway speeds.

My problem is acceleration from 0. At operating temperature, a whole lot of engine power is required to get the thing rolling; almost like the clutches are slipping. At roughly 10mph or so, I can feel a noticeable "grab" and after this the vehicle accelerates normally; I can't tell though if this is a shift from 1st to 2nd or not. It does not feel like a typical transmission shift. The start from 0 is slightly better when the car is cold, and the problem worsens when the engine/trans warms up.

There are no acceleration problems in 2nd; although it takes a while for the transmission to shift to third (sometimes after spending a long time accelerating up to speed in 2nd, the transmission shifts to 3rd and then immediately to 4th if the speed is appropriate.

All clutches are new; all planets and shells and spragues and so forth were in perfect shape. I'm suspecting some torque converter trouble, but don't know for sure.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

How about manually in 1st? not a
tranny guy but it does sound like tourqe converter. did you fill the converter with fluid during install?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road

Did you use the old torque converter?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

internal components of valve body installed improperly.Actuator piston isnt working properly.Drank too much beer while overhauling the trans.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM

I did use the original torque converter. After spending a day and night draining it I did not pre-fill it; I let the pump do that, and it's been on and running for a good month at least so it should be filled by now.

In 1st gear manually - same problem. In 2nd, a bit more pick-up, but the "grab" moment still comes and is hard under load, spinning the wheels for a second.

I can accept that I may have put a valve body component back incorrectly. It means some complicated work and by now I'll probably need a new set of gaskets right? And does anybody have a diagram handy so I can double-check the valve body components?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Thank you; however, I did check that already and my symptoms don't appear there (which is another thing that causes me to suspect 1st may be right about me putting a valve body component in backwards or something).