Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

shifter free moving

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
cornbread is on a distinguished road
Default shifter free moving

When I was backing up my 2001 Blazer, I went to put into drive and the shifter felt very free and would not shift out of neutral. I call the tow truck and the guy needed to blazer in neutral to get in on the flatbed. I told him it was tuck in reverse and he went under the right side of the truck aqnd said the linkage to the tranny came off. He was able to shift in neutral by had and snapped the linkage bacl together. He indicated there was some sort of pin that should the linkage together. I had him tow it our local GM dealer and they claim they can find no missing pins?
Any thought on what I should tell the repair dude to look at?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could have broken or just dislodged somehow the end of the cable where it attaches to the shift lever at the transmission or the adjustment could have unlocked which would have resulted in you not being able to shift the transmission.

THIS LINK shows the relevant parts. THIS LINK will show you how to adjust the shifter.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Starting Member

Is there any thing to keep the cable from becoming dislodged? Kotter pin?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The adjustment is supposed to have a lock on it, but if it was damaged... You really need to get in there and inspect it. See what's loose. The connection to the transmission shift lever is a detent style connection or a ball/socket connection. Either should snap into place.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Starting Member

I had it in the shop and they said they could find nothing wrong. Is it possible for the darn thing to pop out? The guy that towed my car said he put the linkage back together, but thought it needed something to secure the connection in place to keep it from popping out again.

Does any one have a dwg or diagram of the linkage where it connectd to the tranny?

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-03-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Its possible that something popped up in there and dislodged the shift cable where it connects to the shift arm out of the transmission, but that would be a pretty out there occurrence. Another possibility is that someone was trying to mess with you. All it takes is a screw driver and 10 seconds of time to pop the linkage off. If it didn't come all the way off, you would have been able to move it some, but then it could have slipped off the rest of the way.
Originally Posted by cornbread
Does any one have a dwg or diagram of the linkage where it connectd to the tranny?
First link in my first post.