Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Smoked my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member
paveland is on a distinguished road
Default Smoked my tranny

Let me start of by saying "yes I now realize im a complete IDIOT!"

I purchased a 95 blazer with an auto tranny and trailered it home on a dolly, (rear wheels still on the ground) put it in nuetral there wasnt any resistance so I drove it home thinking it would be ok......

Got alittle ways down the road and smoke was rolling out of car form the tranny. Turns out the rear axle was locked in 4x4 still and smoked my tranny pretty good and now it wont work.

Any idea what I broke? Do i have to rebuild the whole thing?
And yes i now know STUPID STUPID STUPID

Old 03-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't locked in 4x4. These are rear-wheel-drive vehicles when not in 4wd. You should have put the rear wheels on the dolly, not the front.

And yeah, I think you're in for a rebuild.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Like pointed out above, you smoked your tranny. I just wanted to add how it happens so you understand what went wrong.

The rear axle is connected to the driveshaft and the driveshaft is connected to the t-case. Some t-cases have a nuetral setting for towing, some dont. Yours might, however it was still engaged to the transmission. The transmission was turning with the rear wheels, except for the tranny pump. The tranny pump pushes tranny fluid throughout your tranny to keep it cool and operational. What you did was toast the inside of your tranny. you will need to replace or rebuild it. I would opt for rebuilding it. Although a salage yard replacement is less expensive in the short run. Just make sure you get a warrenty, and you replace one quart of tranny fluid with tranny shock, ask for it at your local autoparts store.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the great info. It just frustrating that it was such an easy mistake to avoid.

But looking forward. I know nothing about Auto tranny's but was toying with the idea or a home rebuild with a good kit and one of those online instructional rebuild DVD's. What do you guys think?

Bite the bullet for a professional rebuild or attempt a home rebuild?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

They aren't that hard to rebuild but do require a few specialty tools, which cost a few bucks which you will probably use this one time. Unless you make it a habit of helping your friends out rebuilding their trannys. Call around to a number of shops and find one that knows 4L60Es (pretty sure '95s had them, if not 700R4s) inside and out. You should be able to find one that almost specializes in GM trannys. Plan to spend a little over $1000 for a complete rebuild, but pass on any shop that is going to charge over $2000. Also, do a little research and get your tranny built better than stock with a few parts that are fairly inexpensive.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AJBert
Also, do a little research and get your tranny built better than stock with a few parts that are fairly inexpensive.

any reputable trany shop is gonna have all the current updates for your trans, so searching for them yourself shouldn't be necessary.

but again, it all comes down to finding a reputable shop.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Rebuild it yourself if you feel confident.
You need a clean shop, a parts washer, and some good old fashioned ingunueity to skit the specialty tools.
Couple of tips, buy the DVD and ASTM rebuild manual. The manual will have the specs for your particular year tranny.
It only takes reversal of any part to fry that rebuild, pay particular attention to the direction of all parts. It may look like and fit in both directions, however only one way is the correct way.

As for parts, you want
High Energy rebuild kit with paper and seals, kevlar clutch packs.
Replace the reaction sunshell with the "Beast Sunshell", its a hardened unit.
Replace the acuumulators with pinless versions. Over time the pinned versions wobble out and you lose holding pressure.
Nows the time to install a shift kit, if oyu want one.
Do the 4/3 mod in the pump.
Do the spring behind the trottle valve in teh valve body.
Kevlar 2/4 band
New torque converter.
Flush the cooler lines with Kleen, one or two cans will do it.
Dextron VI, or synthetic tranny fluid.
Install a tranny drain plug, drain and top off once per year.
Install an auxillary tranny cooler.
Install a tranny temp gage (optional).
Replace the input gasket on the t-case.
Lubricate both the tranny and t-case input gaskets with tranny fluid before you put it together, dont use vaseline. You'll fry the seal and have to pull the tranny/t-case to replace them.
Add 4 quarts and crank the engine over, pull the distributor cap wire so the truck WONT start. You want to get the fluid circulating, add another couple quarts and crank it over again, do this until full. Otherwise you could blow out the tranny pump seal.

Yes, its very doable in your garage. Remember it only takes a pice of grit the size of a grain of salt to stick a valve and toast the tranny. A human hair will do the same thing. Your work space must be extremely clean, dont use rages, use shop towels, lint free shop towels.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the great info. Exactly what I was looking for