Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

So now that I know....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road
Default So now that I know....

I knew NOTHING about cars before I got my Jimmy in December. Since then, I've learned a lot. I rebuilt my front end suspension and steering, changed the oil a few times, installed some Led's....But I found out I made a mistake...I mixed the green with the orange and the result was sludge. (Coolant) So far nothing has gone wrong and the running temp has been constant and not too high.

Now for the questions... I know I should flush it, but is this something I can do myself? And also, how would I go about it? I've driven about 200 miles since I made that mistake and I did it about 4 months ago. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I did the same thing. oops.

Best way i did it was unhook the bottom rad hose,remove thermostat and run a hose pipe on for a few minutes to help flush out the engine. re-assemble everything,get 2 bottles of that rad flush stuff,add it,run 20 miles,flush,repeat,flush. check..

biggest pain in the butt..but thats what it took for mine..even now every once in a while theres a tiny bit of sludge under the rad cap..bleh...dexcool=die

Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I seriously suggest you educate yourself on the Dexcool. Its not bad. It just didnt react well with certian design flaws and failures. Many people blame the Dexcool for the problems with their engine when the engine is what actually caused the problem with the coolant. There is a great write up in this forum that will give you facts instead of myths about Dexcool. I actually suspect that sludge may have already been there before you did the coolant change. I bought a blazer for $1000 that had a continual over heating issue. The orange had gelled up and plugged the radiator. The cause wasnt the coolant. It was a leaking cooling system that allowed air into it. Good Luck!!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

I didn't change the fluid...I just added green to the dexcool when it was low. Thanks for the help though. Ill do the flush as soon as I get my check friday morning.