Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

sputtering, loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM
enochian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: sputtering, loss of power

This is my first post (newbie here) I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong place but this is where I found something relevant to my problem.

BACKGROUND: I have a 1988 Chevrolet s-10 tahoe blazer (6 cyl) 2.8< trying to smog it. It is close to passing smog but has a NOX problem. I have replaced many things I'm sure have helped and replacing them even if they work isn't a problem (Just helps) The major problem seems to be throttle body injectors but since they are very expensive I wanted to get an opinion from many of you first.

MAIN QUESTION:
There is a GLUG GLUG at low RPM (this is where it hasfailed smog last with high NOX) and the fuel is coming out of the injectors but with a hesitation (sprinkler like) is this normal or is it my culprit? PS I have adjusted the valve lash thouroughlyand gas pump was fixed at an ASE shop + New Computer before last smog. I have since replaced theOxy Sensor &fuel filter but still has a glug glug glug.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

enochian, I don't know where you saw relevant information in this thread as the OP has a 2001... Completely different from your vehicle. To not stray too far off the original problem/topic, please create a new thread in the 1st Gen Tech area and we can make suggestions there. Thanks,

Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
ershealy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, still driving me nuts. I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Noticed that there was oil sludge everywhere (from the PCV valve) except under the FPR, it was clean to bare aluminum. Must have been leaking pretty good.

Now the surge is cleared up, but it will bog terribly if you try to accelerate quickly from a dead stop. If you ease in to it, no problem. If you are already moving and quickly open the throttle, no problem. Oh, and the kicker is that it comes and goes!!

Any ideas?

Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 AM

I ran P0128 through my OBD11 code reader and it says:
Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temp

This code may be throwing because of your Thermostat not working properly.

Have you replaced the Thermostat?

I'm not sure about misfire codes but I have had the same codes on my buick and I replaced the spark plugs and finally figured out that the problem was (FUEL INJECTORS) - Replaced them through rockauto andthe codes stopped throwing + got performance back...

I don't know much about your Generation of Blazer so I won't assume. Is it fuel injected?

Just a wild guess but try replacing: Thermostat + Fuel Injectors.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

I just re-read your last post and realized that (It comes & goes) could be bad electrical connections to something. Like fuel injectors or another fuel control system. Try tracing that down.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 AM

I just re-read your last post and realized that (It comes & goes) could be bad electrical connections to something. Like fuel injectors or another fuel control system. Try tracing that down.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
RedBinary is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently purchased a 2001 S10 && am experiencing almost exactly the same problem as the original post, the only thing I might add is that, in my case:

1) It never sputters on the way to wrrrk at 4a.m. - only on the way home in the super-hot afterrnon, and then generally only after 30 minutes or so of driving.

2) Shutting the engine off and restarting it will make frequently (but not always) make the problem temporarily disappear (for between 5 && 15 miles)

3) It has only lit the CEL once (yesterday) after I tried revving it up while it was misbehaving and it backfired some. AutoZone read/reset codes P0452 && P0300. Todays commute was the same fare - fine in the a.m., sputtery after about 20 minutes, no CEL

4) Sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it takes extended amounts of cranking - 2 to 5 minutes on occasion.

==========================
Any further insight would be GREATLY appreciated - esp. if the original poster was able to conquer this problem!

Old 12-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member
Nicholas_29 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a problem almost the same. the idle would stick it seemed. then one day i reved it a bit and the rpm went all the way and wouldn't come down. i couldn't run it without blowing it. so sent it in and it was a cracked throtle body. never heard or seen it. but that was it. u mite want to check. cant say thats it but never know.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member
Tdotblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems like many blazers have this problem. It starts, idles and if you feather the gas it will go, but the problems really start when the 190 hp are unleashed. What was the solution to the problems? I was hoping to see a solution to the blazers' problems. I don't want to $pend tonnes of hard earned cash wishing or hoping a mechanic will figure it out.