Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Starts but wont enguage no reverse or drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 07:10 AM
Starting Member
Wes Becker is on a distinguished road
Default Starts but wont enguage no reverse or drive

Okay so I had a hi pitched noise coming from what I thought was a pulley when I accelerated I couldn't hear it getting louder so I ignored it for a while. one day I decided to check it out and found it was coming from my bell housing. I don't do transmissions remind you .so I decided to take out the Bell housing bolts and take a look well i couldn't see anything obviously wrong so I got a buddy over that knows a little more about tranny than I do and he thought the problem was my torque converter. So I got a rebuilt converter from O'Reilly s and put it all back together fired it up and the noise seemed to be gone and everything seemed good. Now that was the short story I left out how I was tired and did what i knew not to and broke my oil pan forcing the Bell housing bolts in. My bad,that didn't help things at all lol .so got a used engine oil pan and installed so I'm back on track so I Was thinking. Now I went for a test drive and btw 99 blazer 2wd it was driving great it felt and ran good. I drove About 1.5miles parked for ten min or so and when I went to leave put it in reverse and it was barely engaging but got out of parking spot and put it in drive and again it felt like it was hardly engaging. Well I went to the business right next door and parked it I checked fluid levels connections any and every thing I could think of and had no change .Well after lots of reading I decided that my fluid pump was out so I looked into how to replace that pump. Again transmissions I don't know and didn't really want to get to know. So I did my research and thought it wasn't anything I can't handle well the pump runs around 160 from what I found and I found a couple people that were willing to trade my good tranny +300bucks for a rebuilt tranny well I figured that would be the way to go so I made a deal reinstalled tranny and same problem I was having so I checked,over everything now I've dropped tranny pan and valve body checked solenoids and well I don't know what else to do .I've been looking up symptoms and it looks like it could be anything really .if anyone has had this issue or knows what the problem is if like to hear from you. Now I'm thinking nothing was wrong with my tranny .within the last year I've done alot of work on the truck and I do take care of it. Recently replaced radiator upper/lower control arm bushings and shocks all the way around wheel hub assemblies waterpump tensioner headlight assembly hoses vacuum hoses tires and the list goes on .back to this tranny issue the entire trans fluid system has been replaced there is no blockage at all .help please

Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Was there any engine size or year different in replacement transmission from the original? Did you happen to use the new converter in the replacement transmission? Also go and pull the dipstick for transmission after sitting for a while preferably over night before starting the engine and note where the level is. It should be 1/2 to 3/4 inch above the full mark. Then start engine and check again and see if it is slightly lower than the full mark. If the fluid level doesn’t change the pump is not picking up fluid. Make sure the correct filter was installed, also if you haven’t yet make sure to flush the cooler and lines or any debris left from previous transmission will get in the replacement. Good luck.
Brad

Old 02-19-2019, 03:50 AM
Starting Member
Wes Becker is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Transman304
Was there any engine size or year different in replacement transmission from the original? Did you happen to use the new converter in the replacement transmission? Also go and pull the dipstick for transmission after sitting for a while preferably over night before starting the engine and note where the level is. It should be 1/2 to 3/4 inch above the full mark. Then start engine and check again and see if it is slightly lower than the full mark. If the fluid level doesn’t change the pump is not picking up fluid. Make sure the correct filter was installed, also if you haven’t yet make sure to flush the cooler and lines or any debris left from previous transmission will get in the replacement. Good luck.
Brad
I've got the 4.3 and i was told this tranny came out of a 1500 that's all the info I know about this transmission. I really wish I didn't get rid of the other one now. Yes I am using a new converter and I added about 2qts to it before I installed it. Now when I started to add fluid to the tranny the system was empty besides what I had in converter and cooler and I'm sure the cooler was about empty because I had both lined disconnected from tranny and nothing was dropping out the lines .so I added 8qts .I was thinking I would still be low by a couple qts but when I checked it it was reading way high on the dipstick .well I wasn't sure if I was getting a correct reading from adding fluid so I decided to let it set and check it in the A.M. well then it was very clear that the reading on the stick was in fact high so I was thinking the TCC solenoid was not allowing fluid to tc .so I'm now wondering if power is even going to trans .today I was thinking about this whole process and the blazer was driving and working fine just had that noise then I started working on it .during that process I changed the fluid and filter then drove fine for just over a mile and I turned the truck off .When I went to Starr it and leave all my problems started then I changed transmissions and put that still new cherry fluid from old tranny into this one and I'm having the exact same problem that's odd. So I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong fluid. Could that be all this is??? Yes I have taken one line off at the cooler with truck running to check for flow and there was no fluid coming thru the cooler but I could feel air thru the line so that tells me the pump is trying to do its job but tcc won't allow it. Is that correct ?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:11 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

It’s not the wrong fluid and it isn’t a TCC solenoid as the fluid will pump anytime the engine is running. I would say wrong filter or inlet seal but with the fluid high it should still lower the level or be in the cooler line with engine running. I suspect a broken pump. Have you ever done this type of repair before? Are you sure the converter is seated in the pump completely? If you are using the torque converter from the previous transmission that you thought the pump was broken the hub on converter could be damaged.
Brad