Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

still shifts bad from 1-2

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
jsanders347 is on a distinguished road
Default still shifts bad from 1-2

i had the tranny rebuilt about 40k miles ago. when shifting from 1st to 2nd its like it wants to shift but revs to almost 3k rpms and finally shifts. all other gears are fine. is this normal or is there a reaccuring issue? also i want to change the tranny fluid. ive heard lots of good things about royal purple. what would you guys reccomend?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Did they put a Shift Kit in your Tranny?? My K5 has a Shift Kit and tends to shift hard into 2nd.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
Did they put a Shift Kit in your Tranny?? My K5 has a Shift Kit and tends to shift hard into 2nd.
Nah no shift kit. I've considered installing one with the fluid change. It lurches through 1st and I can't figure out why

Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Hmmm, maybe someone with more knowledge can come around and give you some more info. Go ahead and post the specs of your Blazer, they will ask for it anyway, lol.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a small leak in the 2nd gear apply circuit. You can check that by pulling the 2-4 servo out from the passenger's side of the transmission and checking seals. Otherwise, the 1-2 accumulator pistons are known to wear out in the pin bore and cause leaks that eventually lead to that problem. That has to be checked by dropping the valve body. A shop could do all that for you, or talk to people and see if anyone knows a kid going through automotive classes. I've actually learned some usefull tips from them time-to-time.
I'm not guranteeing my answer but that's $.02.

Lurching in first could also be caused by that same leak, or one in a different spot and the delayed 1-2 shift is a byproduct of it.

If you had your original transmission rebuilt they could have missed the issue, or you've put enough additional miles on it for it to show up.

Last edited by TZFBird; 01-07-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 01-08-2011, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by TZFBird
Sounds like a small leak in the 2nd gear apply circuit. You can check that by pulling the 2-4 servo out from the passenger's side of the transmission and checking seals. Otherwise, the 1-2 accumulator pistons are known to wear out in the pin bore and cause leaks that eventually lead to that problem. That has to be checked by dropping the valve body. A shop could do all that for you, or talk to people and see if anyone knows a kid going through automotive classes. I've actually learned some usefull tips from them time-to-time.
I'm not guranteeing my answer but that's $.02.

Lurching in first could also be caused by that same leak, or one in a different spot and the delayed 1-2 shift is a byproduct of it.

If you had your original transmission rebuilt they could have missed the issue, or you've put enough additional miles on it for it to show up.
when they rebuilt my tranny they said something about a squirrel cage? and they showed my what the probem was and its hard to describe but it looked more like a big hamster wheel with some splines in the center and splines were all chewed up. is that anything your talking about or is that different? when it gave out i had no reverse and it when i went to shift to third it was like it hit neutral instead. i really appreciate your reply. very knowledgeable. thank you

Old 01-08-2011, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
Hmmm, maybe someone with more knowledge can come around and give you some more info. Go ahead and post the specs of your Blazer, they will ask for it anyway, lol.
thanks for tryin. your responce is also greatly appreciated

Old 01-08-2011, 03:50 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jsanders347
when they rebuilt my tranny they said something about a squirrel cage? and they showed my what the probem was and its hard to describe but it looked more like a big hamster wheel with some splines in the center and splines were all chewed up. is that anything your talking about or is that different? when it gave out i had no reverse and it when i went to shift to third it was like it hit neutral instead. i really appreciate your reply. very knowledgeable. thank you
You're talking about the sun shell. Those can break from time to time. If that is all they replaced, the problem I described could still be what's happening.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TZFBird
You're talking about the sun shell. Those can break from time to time. If that is all they replaced, the problem I described could still be what's happening.
If I were to attempt to do this myself how involved is it? This is my daily driver and would only have 2 days to spend on it. Would I be better of takin it to a shop? Would the failure of either part you described be means for another rebuild? Sorry for all the questions. Again, I really appreciate your knowledge and help.