Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Stock Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 03:51 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
You need to make sure that you use a relay with a flyback diode built in, or add one to your wiring. If you don't the relay opening and closing will kill the temperature switch with voltage spikes. The flyback diode prevents the voltage spike on the trigger line from the temperature switch and protects it. In case you want to know what a flyback diode is, here's the Wikipedia article on them, and here's an article explaining why they should be used in circuits with relays. There's quite a few people on the S10Forum who have run into the same problems as you describe, and using a flyback diode on the relay solves the issue.

I've been using my cheap $15 Amazon temperature switch for about 8 months now without issue.
I hadn't even considered that, good info, thank you!

I've read about it being common practice on momentary switches before, the diode keeps the switch contacts from arcing and causing a buildup of corrosion, which leads to the switch no longer working.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I hadn't even considered that, good info, thank you!

I've read about it being common practice on momentary switches before, the diode keeps the switch contacts from arcing and causing a buildup of corrosion, which leads to the switch no longer working.
Yep. Exact same principle. The diode bleeds off the potential energy stored in the coil safely preventing the voltage spike when the relay is released.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Mr. Electrical I'm not. Is there a how to on this any where? I have a twin Intrepid fan setup mounted to my radiator in my project truck. Eventually I'd like to have the 0411 computer run this setup but until that happens I'd like a cheap way to run the fans without reverting to buying an aftermarket controller setup. Most of the reviews I've read on multiple sites give them less than stellar reviews.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:35 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eshaw
Mr. Electrical I'm not. Is there a how to on this any where? I have a twin Intrepid fan setup mounted to my radiator in my project truck. Eventually I'd like to have the 0411 computer run this setup but until that happens I'd like a cheap way to run the fans without reverting to buying an aftermarket controller setup. Most of the reviews I've read on multiple sites give them less than stellar reviews.
Check out the diagrams on this StackExchange thread. They have drawings of how to add a flyback diode to common automotive relays.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:52 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by eshaw
aftermarket controller setup. Most of the reviews I've read on multiple sites give them less than stellar reviews.
I've had 50/50 luck with these in previous vehicles in the past... Have had some that flat out died after a couple weeks, usually the ones with the probes that go into the radiator fins are harder to actually control in my experience, and then I've had some that work flawlessly and you never even think twice about them.