Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Swapping Trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
behemoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swapping Trans

I was recently given a 97 blazer 4x4 because of a bad trans (they were going to junk it, i offered to buy it, and ended up with it for free...)

Now, Story goes as such: Engine died (dont know how), they had a new one put in, about a week later, trans starts slipping.

So, First i'm going to check the ATF, but i'm thinking this guys not quite THAT dumb...

I drove it thru a parkinglot, and it runs drives fine, just slips out of gear at certian RPM.

I want to fix this. I'm told it could be just the torque converter, or something else, but i'd like to find out for sure.

I also happen to have a spare transmisison off a 95 s10 (single cab, 4.3L) - I'm hoping if this one is shot, i can swap.

Though, its going from 2wd to 4wd.

Will the 2wd trans mount to the back of the transfer case, or will i have to take the 4x4 components out and make it a 2wd truck (this is fine, a running vehicle is worth more than a non running one.)

Thanks guys, just figured i'd do some question asking and brain storming before i started ripping trucks apart!

Old 06-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

What did the fluid look like? How was the level when hot?

Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Havent had a chance to test it yet. Probably monday, i've gotta let it warm up, and go from there.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite involved to make a 2wd transmission work in a 4wd application. The output shaft is quite a bit longer and will need to be swapped. This requires the transmission to be practically gutted.

Also, to further complicate things, there have been changes made between the 95 and 97 model years in the 4L60E transmission. A good rule of thumb is to always go newer and never older.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Figured it wouldnt be that easy.

In order to get this truck driveable again, what would be the best bet? Find a trans from a 4x4 97+ blazer?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

finding a tranny from a 4wd will make things just that much easier and would be the better way to go IMO

Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a 97+ 4wd trans is the way to go.