Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

TRANNY HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Beginning Member
4thgenssuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRANNY HELP!!!!!!!

ok so tonight i was leaving the movies and i put my blazer in reverse(auto) and i give it gas and i hear a loud noise and a winding sound when i give it gas....when i put it in d it goes and makes a winding noise.when it goes to shift gears i have to let off the gas and it shifts..when i go to give it gas it revs alittle bit and then goes in gear..i think its the tranny tho..i hope not.what do you guys think???

Old 04-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member
4thgenssuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: TRANNY HELP!!!!!!!

i figured out what the problem was..does anybody know what tranny i could use that is stronger

Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

i believe its the 4L60E

Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any v8 transmission will have additional clutch packs.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your tranny is plenty strong, however you found the weak link, the reaction sun shell. You broke it. The good news, its a $50 part. The bad news, you ahve to pull the tranny out and take it almost completely apart to fix it.

Tell me how you want to proceed. I have rebuilt mine and could offer tips, pointers etc. Howver I am not going through the trouble if your only going to drive to the shop and have them fix it. To get an idea what it takes to pull the tranny, check the How-To section, or is it called Self- Help, something along those lines. I did a write up on how to remove the tranny.If you got the tools, skills, or ambition to do that. You might be able to fix it yourself.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
badazzmonte350 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if you fixed your problem yet or not, it was a year ago that you posted your concern. But someone suggested that a4L60 transmission is strong enough to swap to. Here's the problem with that statement.Your blazer probably has a 4L60 already in it. I don't know what your driving habits are, but quite frankly, I'm not a big fan of the 4L60, however, I drive aggressively and I am hard on driveline components. The better transmission would be the 4L65 or the 4L80.As far as size is concerned,all three are roughly the same size and have the same bolt patterns. The 4L60 is a 1/2 ton trans as to where the 4L80 is a 1 ton and can handle aton (no pun intended) more abuse. Just a thought though. If you haveyour problem fixed, please keep this in mind should you have another problem requiring you to tear into your transmission.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 4L80E is longer than the 4L60E, requiring modification of the transmission cross member and both the front and rear driveshaft. The 4L65E does have a higher torque holding capacity stock for stock when compared with the 4L60E as does the 4L80E over both of them. But the 4L80E also has a higher parasitic loss.

The 4L65E has an extra clutch pack as compared with the 4L60E, but a built 4L60E will still last longer and is cheaper to build. Not to mention that those 4L65E's are still pulling a premium while the 4L60E doesn't even have core charges at most reputable rebuild shops!

MonsterTrans.com can build a 4L60E for use up to 650HP which would be overkill behind a 4.3L motor unless you are REALLY hard on it... Their mild build is stated good to 275HP

Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
pquada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 4x4 blazer 2dr - transmission noise - other weird noises

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Your tranny is plenty strong, however you found the weak link, the reaction sun shell. You broke it. The good news, its a $50 part. The bad news, you ahve to pull the tranny out and take it almost completely apart to fix it.

Tell me how you want to proceed. I have rebuilt mine and could offer tips, pointers etc. Howver I am not going through the trouble if your only going to drive to the shop and have them fix it. To get an idea what it takes to pull the tranny, check the How-To section, or is it called Self- Help, something along those lines. I did a write up on how to remove the tranny.If you got the tools, skills, or ambition to do that. You might be able to fix it yourself.

Afternoon all-

My truck is making an awful winding noise when i am in any gear following being stuck in a snow drift.

Essentially what took place was i has gotten stuck in a snow drift like an idiot - I tried rocking it back and forth too fast to dry and dislodge the vehicle and it started making this terrible noise. And now, ever since then it has been doing this. I havent changed the transmission fluid in 40-50k miles, it has been checked and i also put in a quart of lucas transmission repair stuff. (it was shifting hard, the lucas stuff fixed that)

I quoted the above comment as this is all i could find on the site that might pertain to my issue. If anyone could help i would be more than appreciative.

~ i have another noise that makes me concerned as well, when i turn the steering wheel on occasion i hear a popping noise and i can also feel it under my feet. Might it be a bad bushing in a control arm or something? The ball joints are brand new.

~ I also hear a 'tinging' noise when reversing. I think that might be a u-joint issue, does that sound right?

Thanks guys

Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 4x4 blazer 2dr - transmission noise - other weird noises

pquada,
You are reviving a thread that has been inactive for one year. Please repost your question in the appropriate section of the forum and include your vehicle information. You can make a signature that contains this info (see mine below as an example) so that it shows in each post you make, making it easier for folks to respond with help.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member
dyeraudio is an unknown quantity at this point

I paid $1350 to have my sunshell replaced...Most of the bill was labor because of the removal and re-install...the transfer case is right in the way......