Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans Cooler Hose Size

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM
biniecki is on a distinguished road
Default Trans Cooler Hose Size

I have a '96 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3L that is 4x4. The previous owner used the wrong size rubber hose on the transmission cooler. I know its the wrong size for multiple reasons. First the diameter is too small to fit over the fittings but he forced it and clamped it. This caused a problem for me. While driving the other day the hose blew off and its impossible to get it to stay on without blowing off again. I jerry rigged it by bypassing the cooler to get home. I want to replace the lines with the right size now. Does anyone know what the diameter is of the hose I need?

Old 11-07-2010, 03:02 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by biniecki
I have a '96 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3L that is 4x4. The previous owner used the wrong size rubber hose on the transmission cooler. I know its the wrong size for multiple reasons. First the diameter is too small to fit over the fittings but he forced it and clamped it. This caused a problem for me. While driving the other day the hose blew off and its impossible to get it to stay on without blowing off again. I jerry rigged it by bypassing the cooler to get home. I want to replace the lines with the right size now. Does anyone know what the diameter is of the hose I need?
is it just slid over the factory metal lines? if it is, make sure you flare the end good to make sure it doesn't blow off or leak....

I used compression fittings on my lines with a ****** end on it. (what was available to me) and don't have any leakage issues.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 PM

I just needed the rubber hose the goes from in between the metal hose and the cooler. I just looked up the specs for the metal hose and found out that it has a 3/8" end on it. I got some 3/8" hose and took care of the problem. The previous hose was 5/16"

Old 11-09-2010, 02:23 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

just curious, what size is your tranny cooler?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
just curious, what size is your tranny cooler?
mine is WAY overkill. if u want a pic let me know. it's easily 1/3 the size of the rad.. but it was free my tranny temps hit 250+, haven't gone over 200 since(while towing, logging roads it got the hottest) although one with a bypass valve is what you want, cold temps aren't good for the transmission either(bypasses the cooler until it hits a certain temp)

Last edited by 69chevelle; 11-09-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
mine is WAY overkill. if u want a pic let me know. it's easily 1/3 the size of the rad.. but it was free my tranny temps hit 250+, haven't gone over 200 since(while towing, logging roads it got the hottest) although one with a bypass valve is what you want, cold temps aren't good for the transmission either(bypasses the cooler until it hits a certain temp)
Mine sounds like the same thing. Its about a third the size of the radiator.