Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008 | 10:50 AM
kdanderson5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Transmission fluid

ORIGINAL: Duntov

A automatic transmission repair shop manager told me a long time ago that if everyone changed the transmission fluid and filter as often as they changed the motor oil and filter, a transmission would last forever. I know that was an exaggeration but I got his point. Heat is the worst enemy of a transmission
All auto repair shops use the"CMAP. (Cover My *** Program.)

Unfortunately, there are some things on S10 Blazers that you must learn how to do yourself.
The guy at this shop told me the EXACT same thing about trannys with changing the fluid. He also mentioned the brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc... He said if you changed all this stuff when it is recommended, vehicles would last a lot longer. Which obviously makes sense. At least with the really expensive repair bills (motor, tranny etc...)

These guys seemed pretty honest I thought. They were strait up with me from what I can tell, and I know the fluid is bad. I won't know if the sample was my fluid or not, but I know either way something needs to be done about it because mine fluid is burnt. My dumbass can ever tell that![sm=smiley20.gif]

Well once again thanks everyone. You helped me decide to go ahead and do it, but do it myself. Now I need to do some searching to figure out how to bleed the lines of air when I get done haha.

Thanks again,

Kenton

Old 11-13-2008 | 03:23 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transmission fluid

Do you know the effects of heat on tranny seals/gaskets?
It causes them to harden, leading to leaks, leading to slippage, leading to particales in the vluid and a burnt smell.

Did you know that tranny fluid is full of detergents.

What do you think will happen when you put in new tranny fluid?
It will clean the debris that is sealing your seals/gaskets and preventing your tranny from slipping more.

Your call.

If it is already burnt and full of particals, it's only a matter of time anyway.

changeing the fluid on a tranny that is in decent shape isn't a problem, no matter the mileage between changes. Its still in decent shape.

Yes, your tranny will last forever if you take care of it. Keep it cool and drain the pan at least every 30,000 miles with normal driving conditions. More frequently if you off-road, bumper to bumper traffic, tow, or live in a hilly/mountain area.

Condeming the whole chain due to one store, district manager is like condeming the whole senate because of one liar.Or like never buying Firestone/Bridgestone tires because of the Ford fiasco.