Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission fluid leaking rather quickly

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Transmission fluid leaking rather quickly

Well folks I guess it's my turn to share my problem(one of them!) Over the past few weeks I have noticed transmission fluid leaking from the torque converter area, I'll admit my undercarriage was fairly muddy so I first cleaned it all with a pressure washer. I then tried the cheapest/easiest fix and tightened the pan bolts topped the fluid up and I thought that stopped it after a short drive.

I have another car that I daily drive so it's not like I put 1000km on it so I hope nothing is wrong internally besides a seal, but today I took it for a bit longer of a test drive and she is definitely still leaking...quite quickly at that. So, it's definitely time to remove the transmission(have never done that before) but I am fairly handy with a set of tools - I've done my own LIM gaskets/Injectors, axle seals, the whole front end susp./steering yada yada yada.

I have also done a great deal of searching, and general thread reading throughout the years on this forum and have read the 4L60E removal a few times, plus I have a Haynes manual so I am pretty sure I can do this.

What I am asking for is if you have any tips/comments/ideas about removing and or installing the transmission please share them. Should I buy a seal kit or remove it and hope I can tell which seal is bad? Maybe it isn't a seal at all what are other common or not so common parts that can go bad and leak out transmission fluid(like I said fairly quick once it's warm)? If the torque converter itself was bad would it leak as described?

I know there are some other things I should replace while I am down there, rear main seal in the engine? Is there anything else? I figure I should take the transfer case off the transmission as well and replace the seals there to avoid having to get back under a short time after. How much does the transmission weigh approx. with the transfer case still attached? Worth it to take the transfer case off before or both at once?

Things I am looking forward to:
My truck being leak free again
Being able to drive it around town instead of it being mostly parked
The experience I will get actually doing the work myself

Things I am NOT looking forward to:
Removing the rusty exhaust bolts
Removing the transmission to find out it is something more expensive then a seal
Complications(there are always some! haha)

Sorry for all the questions/long post but some insight is always nice, thanks folks!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The most likely cause is a failed input seal (lip seal). It is possible that the lip seal has worn a groove into the torque converter snout further allowing fluid to leak out

We had an old farm truck (74 K20) that blew the front seal out of the pump on the front of the transmission. We pushed it back in with a pair of screw drivers while still in the field, filled the transmission back up with fluid (truck stopped moving because it pushed all of the fluid out), then drove it for another 6 years before the body was so bad it wouldn't pass inspection anymore...

Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Starting Member

Would that be visible Kyle looking through the inspection hole with a flashlight? My Blazer is a 96, but I was told the engine/transmission came out of a 2000. I believe this is true because I remember seeing a post by either you or Hanr3 stating the older transmissions have an inspection cover you remove and the newer (I wanna say post 98?) just have an inspection hole. Mine just has a hole slightly bigger then a golfball that you can inspect the flexplate at.

Anyhow when I get off work tomorrow the trucks going up on the stands and under the knife. Thanks for the reply I'm sure I'll have more questions during the removal!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its just the first gens that had the inspection plate. mine is a 96 and all of the trans I have seen and/or put in have all only had the small inspection hole! hope it helps!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you drop the transmission, I would suggest replacing the rear main seal since you can get to it. Also, if you must have the transmission serviced, you have saved a good chuck of labor money by removing and re-installing it yourself.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:38 AM
keninator is on a distinguished road

If the leak is from the front seal,chances are good the pump bushing is worn or has spun in the pump body.If the bushing has spun in the pump body,when the aluminum pump body heats up,the bushing walks out and pushes on the lips of the seal.Then it leaks real good.How many miles on this truck?2 or 4wd?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for all the replies, the truck is 4WD and according to what I was told there would be about 150,000KM on the transmission. There is about 280,000KM on the truck itself. It was blowing too hard to be on the water today so it looks like I will get an early start after lunch