Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission throws you when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 PM
00Blaze is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission throws you when shifting

Hey guys,

Haven't been on in a long long time, but it's good to have the time to be back around.

I've been noticing it now that it's summer and the temps are hotter, that whenever I pull out, shifting from 1st to 2nd, the tranny slams, and throws you forward. This is only when it's pretty hot out, or when the blazer has been running for awhile. its only from 1st to 2nd, no other gear shift. Is it something that could probably be fixed with just a regular tranny service, flush of the fluids, etc? has anyone had this problem before? thanks!!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I have that problem on one of my vehicles but it has a pretty wild Shift Kit and does it when it's cold.

My guess is that you have some sort of sensor issue that may be throwing off the shift point or line pressure when the engine/transmission are hot. Things like Cam or Crank position sensor come to mind. You wouldn't see a difference as far as engine operation but the PCM could be reading more RPMs than the engine is actually turning and compensate for it.

That's just a shot in the dark, but unless it's been rebuilt/upgraded your only problems are with shift solonoids and pressure control solonoid. Of which are affected by MAP/MAF, TPS, VSS, etc.

As far as it only being in 1-2 shift, it may be that you only notice it there because you have the biggest change in ratio between first and second gears.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
v8vega is on a distinguished road

Does it do it all the time or just when you start out when it has been setting a while? How many miles has it been sinse you changed the trans fluid and filter? It should me changed every 30k if you want the trans to last. And is the fluid nice and clean, not brown or smells burnt?