Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

V8 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Starting Member
Dobe Rottie Gang is on a distinguished road
Default V8 engine swap

I have the option of buying a 2011 5.7 litre hemi with a MDS,but does anyone know if this transplant has been done before as I want to put it in my 1999 Blazer.

I was concidering adding a supercharger to the 4.3 , but the cost involved made it seem abit pointless for the gains I would end up getting, so I’m going to throw in a V8 instead, but which one is the big question and how easy do they fit?

Attached Thumbnails V8 engine swap-t2ec16zhjhie9nyseygbrtuthrtfg60_12_zpsbe63a22f.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Well, besides the obvious that you will need to somehow combine wire harnesses, make your own motor mounts, fuel pump and possibly lines unless the Blazer has something like 3/8" already, probably fabricated manifolds/headers, looks like a drive by wire throttle so you will either need a different throttlebody or else plan on replacing your pedal as well. The upper hose off something like a '00 Silverado because the coolant port is facing the opposite direction as the radiator port. Don't forget you are going to need to adapt both torque converter and bell housing of the transmission.

Some other things that should be checked are the oil pan shape and interference with the front corssmember.

Those manifolds look like they face directly back and would be sweet to swap between sides(if they are identical) and use them for a turbo build.

Anything is possible if you are willing to put in the time and money. IMO you are better off going with a GM motor since they have just about every part you will need to do the swap. It would be unique and I cannot fault you for that.

I'd boil it down to what kind of price you are going to be paying for the motor and how long you are going to want to stick with this project. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for the build if you go through with it.

I'd go with a 6.0 GM engine if I had the option. Make as much stock as a supercharged 4.3 and just about everything you need could be bought out of a catalog if necessary.

Last edited by TZFBird; 09-20-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: information
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TZFBird
Well, besides the obvious that you will need to somehow combine wire harnesses, make your own motor mounts, fuel pump and possibly lines unless the Blazer has something like 3/8" already, probably fabricated manifolds/headers, looks like a drive by wire throttle so you will either need a different throttlebody or else plan on replacing your pedal as well. The upper hose off something like a '00 Silverado because the coolant port is facing the opposite direction as the radiator port. Don't forget you are going to need to adapt both torque converter and bell housing of the transmission.

Some other things that should be checked are the oil pan shape and interference with the front corssmember.

Those manifolds look like they face directly back and would be sweet to swap between sides(if they are identical) and use them for a turbo build.

Anything is possible if you are willing to put in the time and money. IMO you are better off going with a GM motor since they have just about every part you will need to do the swap. It would be unique and I cannot fault you for that.

I'd boil it down to what kind of price you are going to be paying for the motor and how long you are going to want to stick with this project. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for the build if you go through with it.

I'd go with a 6.0 GM engine if I had the option. Make as much stock as a supercharged 4.3 and just about everything you need could be bought out of a catalog if necessary.

Thank you very much for the reply.

The fabrication of parts I wasn’t too worried about, but I see your point concerning the adaption of both the torque converter and bellhousing of the transmission.

My other option which I didn’t really want to go down was to put in the 5.3 V8 Vortec engine and gearbox out of a 2005 Silverado, but I’m not sureof the torgue output.

CHEVY CHEVROLET 5.3 V8 VORTEC ENGINE & GEARBOX COMPLETE £2000 | eBay

Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

You can always hold out for a 6.0L vortec. I don't know what you are planning on doing with it but they are very stout engines that can take a lot of abuse. If you want to split hairs between the HEMI and the Vortec you can. You are looking at ~40-50hp&lb/ft difference between the two. By the time you factor in the price difference and work required you can change out the cam on the 5.3 to make up the difference. There is also power to be made with timing and fuel tuning.
This is going on my 5.3 which will double the horsepower for around $2k.

Attached Thumbnails V8 engine swap-img_1276.jpg  
Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 AM
BigBlackBlazer is on a distinguished road

Would you be able to program your ECU to work with the Chevy components (fuel pump etc)? I'm no expert with computers or electricity, so the programming and homemade wiring harness is what I would worry about most. Does the HEMI have an electronic throttle? If so, you'll have to work with that.
It seems like the 4.3 is already stuffed in there, and I think people have to customize their LS1 manifold or intake to fit in their s-bodies. You'll have to do some measuring to see if the 5.7 will fit. They sell aftermarket manifolds to fit 5.3 and LS1 engines in S10s, but I doubt they sell dodge to chevy parts, so you may have to make those.
What else are you getting with the engine? ECU? Cap and rotor? Wiring harness? Exhaust? The more you have to work with the dodge engine the better.
If you can pull this off, you'll have an awesome truck. A lightweight, super high torque, short wheel base sleeper blazer. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm sure you know it's going to be alot of work. I think it would be more unique than the supercharger.

Last edited by BigBlackBlazer; 09-21-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:33 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

my parents have a dodge with a hemi. And ive drove it countless times. truck only weighs like 4700lb. Its got some power,but ive been in a silverado with the 6.0. I gotta say the 6.0 is insane.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

im biased but i hate chryslers. their designs and the way they build and do stuff is usually so insanely stupid and makes so much stuff difficult to work on. even on that hemi for example, 2 spark plugs per cylinder to change. just a stupid thing but it adds up.

i personally would go for the 6.0 chevy if possible

Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Starting Member

hank you everyone for your replies and input and you have certainly given me food for thought concerning the 6lt vortex engine.

The reason I want to upgrade the engine to something more powerful is because I drive to Southern Spain a lot which is 1,200 miles each way.

BigBlackBlazer, I can take what ever I want ECU, Cap, rotor, Wiring harness and complete exhaust? The only thing I can have is the actual bodywork but that's not needed for what I have in mind.