Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Water pump? Hydra locking? IDK HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Starting Member
Jeremy1769 is on a distinguished road
Post Water pump? Hydra locking? IDK HELP!

Okay Begin with 2001 S-10 Blazer 2WD 4.3L 6 Cylinder Vortec. Water pretty much pours from the water pump, best i can tell is right behind the pully. I replaced the water pump 2 years ago but now its out again...belt seems to have proper tension. I did not replace the fan clutch when I replaced the water pump, could this have caused my bearings to go out? And occasionally the engine just makes a loud clunk when I try to start it but I cranks after 3-4 clunks. Is it trying to hydra lock, or are the bearings on the pump bad enough to cause the belt not to turn. I am driving this 1.3 miles to and from work each day, gingerly. I am off sunday so planning on changing the water pump but I need to know if it is hydra locking and if so how do I fix it. And also the logical reason for the pump going out so soon? THANKS

Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Concerning the pump... Sounds like a poor quality pump that failed on you quickly? The system cannot hydro lock since it isn't a positive displacement pump rather, it's a centrifugal pump.

Your starting issue could be a number of things, least of which, IMO, is the water pump.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Starting Member
Jeremy1769 is on a distinguished road

Well I have had a slight water leak for a while, but was told that when these pumps go out the leak water to let you know the bearings are out. Im assuming it just escalated finally on me. Also I was running straight water no coolant in it which could be another reason the bearings shot. So sunday I am changing the water pump, fan clutch, flushing the radiator, id like to do a tune up but never done one, any advice on that? Changing the oil. I am very mechanically inclined just no experience, if I can get it off I can put it back together. What do I need for a tune up and how do I do it?
Thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 10:05 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeremy1769
...Also I was running straight water no coolant in it which could be another reason the bearings shot. So sunday I am changing the water pump, fan clutch, flushing the radiator, id like to do a tune up but never done one, any advice on that?...
Yeah, be sure to stop running just water in the cooling system! You need to have a 60/40 coolant to water ratio in the system for it to function properly.