Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Wire connector plug for distributor and

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Beginning Member
ThaDopeShow is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Your distributor is installed wrong. Do a search for "cam retard" and you will find the procedure and what's required to get it set properly. You will go crazy trying to figure it out otherwise.

Edit: here's a good thread to check out https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-retard-90496/

Edit#2 here's probably the most complete and detailed guide I've ever found regarding inhaling a distributor on a vortec motor Installing and Setting a Vortec Distributor Correctly - GM Truck Central
That's awesome bro I just downloaded the android app I'll try it out first thing in the morning, I've seen some videos looking up the p1345 error code and came across a few videos with mechanics using a oscilloscope to see the cam retard but if this app works like they say it does I should be able to see the cam retard with it, I really appreciate the help. Thanks

Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Do you already have the OBD2 connector?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Edit#2 here's probably the most complete and detailed guide I've ever found regarding inhaling a distributor on a vortec motor Installing and Setting a Vortec Distributor Correctly - GM Truck Central
"Inhaling" is about right. . Good link Rex.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Beginning Member

Do you already have the OBD2 connector?

Yes I've got a obd2 scanner that connects using bluetooth, the app I normally use to read error codes is torque pro but I just downloaded that paid app called car Guage pro

Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rockp2
Yeah Rex posted some good links I just got done reading how to go about fixing the dizzy from the second link Rex posted it was very informative.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:09 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ThaDopeShow
Yes I've got a obd2 scanner that connects using bluetooth, the app I normally use to read error codes is torque pro but I just downloaded that paid app called car Guage pro
Use the single asterick (*) cam retard PID (there are two in Car Gauge Pro).

Old 01-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rockp2
HAHA autocorrect got me!!

Old 01-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Use the single asterick (*) cam retard PID (there are two in Car Gauge Pro).
We'll I was about to take my blazer to a performance shop and let them use a oscilloscope to check the cam retard but I just couldn't get it started it back firing and the engine is making alot of weird noises so I got a friend that's a mechanic that's coming over in about an hour and he says he can fix the dizzy so it will start up and run like normal but if he can't for some reason I'm going to have to tow it to a shop to have it done. It's misfiring and backfiring ALOT when I try to start it up. But I'll use that car Guage pro app when he gets here and we get it started. I've got a battery charger connected to my battery now because I drained the battery trying to get it started this morning. Thanks for your help

Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ThaDopeShow
We'll I was about to take my blazer to a performance shop and let them use a oscilloscope to check the cam retard but I just couldn't get it started it back firing and the engine is making alot of weird noises so I got a friend that's a mechanic that's coming over in about an hour and he says he can fix the dizzy so it will start up and run like normal but if he can't for some reason I'm going to have to tow it to a shop to have it done. It's misfiring and backfiring ALOT when I try to start it up. But I'll use that car Guage pro app when he gets here and we get it started. I've got a battery charger connected to my battery now because I drained the battery trying to get it started this morning. Thanks for your help
Plan on putting the engine on TDC#1, pulling the distributor, and dropping it in correctly. You won't get rid of the P1345 or the misfires otherwise. Bottom line is the rotor is not pointing directly at the terminal when the spark comes through the distributor and it has to try to jump (sometimes unsuccessfully, sometimes to the incorrect terminal).

TDC is indicated by one mark on the balancer lined up with the mark on the plastic timing cover. The other mark on the balancer will be nearly straight down. Your rotor should be pointing towards the passenger side if it runs at all, for #1 cylinder TDC. Drop the distributor in so the rotor points (close) to the little "6" cast into the top of the distributor housing (may not be exact).

You will need to clear the P1345 and SES light should be off before attempting to read cam retard. Rev it up to about 2000 rpm and return to idle before taking the reading.

If cam retard is outside of ±2.0° but less than 22.5° (probably will be), elongate the bolt hole in the hold down clamp so you can turn the distributor just a little and adjust to zero when running. Don't forget to rev to 2000 and back to idle each time you take a reading.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-18-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Plan on putting the engine on TDC#1, pulling the distributor, and dropping it in correctly. You won't get rid of the P1345 or the misfires otherwise. Bottom line is the rotor is not pointing directly at the terminal when the spark comes through the distributor and it has to try to jump (sometimes unsuccessfully, sometimes to the incorrect terminal).

TDC is indicated by one mark on the balancer lined up with the mark on the plastic timing cover. The other mark on the balancer will be nearly straight down. Your rotor should be pointing towards the passenger side if it runs at all, for #1 cylinder TDC. Drop the distributor in so the rotor points (close) to the little "6" cast into the top of the distributor housing (may not be exact).
OK thanks for the tip, my friend was the one working on it last night be he didn't start till 7:20pm and it was already dark so he was saying he should get it lined up and working right today with it still daylight out but I'll show him what you said, last night we were sticking a very long screw driver down the hole the distributor sits in to turn it to line it up with the distributor when we set it in but hopefully everything works out today because if it doesn't I'll have to take it to the performance shop tomorrow and have them do it

Quick Reply: Wire connector plug for distributor and