Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

94 Blazer - Noise From Cruise Control - Controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Luftwaffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 94 Blazer - Noise From Cruise Control - Controller

Hey Guys, I'm new here. I have a great rig. Bought it new in 94 and its been very dependable. It just turned over 150k last week and I'm sure will I get 150k more.

I do have two annoying issues both are small noises. The first that I want to tackle is the rattle that comes from the cruise control mechanism mounted on the steering column. It vibrates a little during driving causing it to rattle. If I manually slide it one way or another (very slightly) the noise will go away fro a few minutes but will then restart. Anyone encounter this problem? Suggestions for remedy?

The other noise is in the passenger seat - more on that another time.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Luftwaffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whahoooooo!

After much anguish and annoyance from a rattle in the Multi-Function Lever (what I was describing as the Cruise Control Lever) I have diagnosed it and resolved the issue. After 15 years of use the lever as become loose and would rattle under certain driving conditions. I replaced the lever with a new one ($57) and whalla the annoying rattle is gone!!!!!!
Also today, I was able to diagnose a squeak in the passenger seat. It started about a year ago and only occurs when someone was in the seat. Apparently the slide/guide rails have become a bit worn and when pressure is applied to the back it tilted up the seat a slight amount causing the seat to admit a annoying squeak. I have sprayed a light lubricant along the rails and the noise has been eliminated. I thing the propper thing to do would be to apply a light grease (grease stick or whatever) to the rails so that it would last longer but that looks like it would be a challenge to reach and may require removal of the seat. For now CorrosionX will be good enough.

My rig is tight again - all noises (rattles and squeaks) are gone! I have one item that I need to address in terms of noise that I think is excessive but for now it drives and sounds like it did the day it was new. Not bad for a 15 year rig with more than 160K on it