Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

CANT GET UNDER THE GLASS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
holeshot63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CANT GET UNDER THE GLASS

89 K5 POWER WINDOWS REAR GATE WINDOW IS DOWN AND THE CABEL BROKE ANY INFO ON HOW TO GET THE WINDOW UP OR OUT OF THE TAIL GATE SO I CAN DEAL WITH THE CABEL WITH OUT BREAKING THE WINDOW. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT

Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: CANT GET UNDER THE GLASS

I have not messed with a power rear window before, but it probably can be attacked through the same methods... Will the window move at all when you lift up on it with the access panel removed?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM

no wont move an inch. and iv looked to see if the gate comes off in halfs but no luck there either. surly they thought this out when they made this truck.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible that when the cable snapped it somehowgot into the window channel is "pinching" the window in tight? If so could you loosen or remove the channels in order to move the window?

Weird crap like that happens to me frequently.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:21 AM

i wish it was that easy. i can see every thing threw the glass but cant touch. it stopped raining and is snowing today so maybe i cant get it out. thanks for the info and help i will let you know how it goes!!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 AM

well i got it out thanks to all who tried to help. after you remove the access panel tilt the gate up so you can look down at the bottom of the window. there are supposed to be four7/16 bolts. NOT rivets[:@] that someone has put in there in stead!!!!remove the boltsNOT rivets[:@]and the window is free to come out. if there are rivets[:@] like mine had u are in for a job. i took a wide metal file and tack weldedit to a sawzaw blade and presto you have a grinderthingy. it takes a minute but it worked. i hope this will help anyone in the same situation!!! thanks again protect the glass with cardboard it works great. and dont drop the wrench!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Rivets...? That is not how it should have been... Mine had two bolts per side.

Glad you got it out!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM

yes rivets. im sure this was not the way it came the slider railes were taped for bolts. i looked at a friends and his had bolts to. but it is a done deal now.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice idea with the reciprocating file. You should patent that.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Good deal! A dremel would have worked great for that application as well. Use the flex extension and either a small cutoff wheel or a sanding drum. Either way, you got it!