Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Engine warmup problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
pitouras is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine warmup problems

HAllo Friends,
I live far away from you but still I own a Chevy k5 5,7Lit 1984 model.
I have a problem specially with cold weather ( below 5 C ) with the engine.When I start it it goes to chocke mode but when It gets out of it after a wile the engine revs start to fall and finally it turns off. ( ones I was on the way and I had trouble controling the car)
Since we dont have technicians here for this car do you know what the problem is ? Is it the heat riser or what?
Please give me a 10000 mile help!!
Thank you
John

[IMG]local://upfiles/13579/2C3D191CC9E9456A8A4F23E3CF2C0181.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Engine warmup problems

Does your carb have an electrical connection on the top of it near the passenger side?

When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

Can you keep it running by pushing on the accelerator pedal?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 AM

Hallo Friend,
I havent changed it for some time i have to say that...
And about your question about the accelerator pedal ...yes when i do that then it keeps runing , it comes to life and if i stop pressing it then it goes down again..
Does that help you in some way?You have something in mind?
About the carburator I must check..

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds as though the idle speed may be set too low. When it is warmer, does it seem to struggle when idling?

It may also be an EGR valve problem...

I would try adjusting the idle speed a bit to see how that affects things.

Here is a link that will probably be information overload, but it is a pretty comprehensive post on thirdgen.org > Rochester E4ME Quadrajet Service Rebuild

Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM

when the car is warm everthing is ok.Very stable , no problems...What is the EGR?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Ok, then it may just be the choke needing adjusting for when it pulls off.

EGR == exhaust gas recirculation. It is an emissions device which recirculates exhaust gasses back into the intake. If this were at fault, the driveability concerns would be more significant and most likely would not stop when the engine warmed up.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

are those pages from a Rochester publication or Haynes or somebody. that book lookes like it would be very handy to have.