Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Interior & Suspension Questions - 74 K5

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 AM
mark1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interior & Suspension Questions - 74 K5

New to the site, not familiar withforums either.
I have a 74 blazer 4x4 project I'm getting started with. I pulled out the interior and plan to replace the bucket seats. I was told bench seats will match up with the bucket mounts. I would like to have a bench seat with integrated belts found in the Silverado trucks. Can anyone confirm what seat will work best.
One other issue I need to address quick. The driver side rear upper shock mount is damaged. Metal torn out. Tough replacement. Any suggestions on an easy fix.I replaced the springs, increasing the lift 2".

*Moved from the Map thread*

Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Interior & Suspension Questions - 74 K5

As far as the interior goes, the only place where I would think that you may have a problem is with the passenger side. The Blazer has a flip forward passenger seat which has different mounting to the floor at the rear. This may present a problem with the use of the truck bench as there will not be a rear mounting location that lines up with the front. That is not to say that you could not add some reinforcement to the floor on the underside and bolt it down. It would likely work so long as your floor does not look like mine.

I am going to go out and have a look at the rear shock tower on my K5 and I will get back to you on that. Pics to come.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM

O.K., I suspected some additional supports on the passenger side back mnts. Other than that, is there a specific mdl year you would suggest using from a silverado pu? I thought of using one from an extended cab so the back rest would fold down for access to the rear seat. Also use of the recent mdls with integrated belts. Likely will be a tight fit for the entry to the rear, but not expecting to use rear seat often anyway. Plan on not using hard top often, we get plenty of sunshine in AZ,plan on use ofsoft top most times or nothing at all. I suspect there could be an easy weld on after mkt. solution to the shock mnt., hopping anyway. Not planning to do heavy off roading but thought there mite be kits for additional add on shocks, (4 as compared to the 2 from mfg.)

Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you are saying that the frame got damaged since the upper shock mount is bolted in. Is that correct?

There are kit for going to quad shocks, but that it typically for high lift/articulation. And this is typically done to the front (actually some came stock with quad shocks up front).

Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 AM

No frame dmg.. Top part of shock mount torn off. Prior owner drilled a hole just forward of the orig. mnting hole, same bracket. Bolt for shock is notsecured and looss, will need to be replaced as well.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Ok then. The upper shock mount was originally riveted on with four rivets (at least that is how mine is). Here are some pictures of mine:

Now, how to fix it... I know this is going to be a pain, but you may have to drop the tank to properly fix this. Access to the inside of the frame rail is not easy with the tank in there. Anyway, since the original was riveted on, you can simply bolt it back into the original holes using some grade 8 hardware with self locking nuts and lock washers for good measure. That is unless it did not damage the stock bracket...