General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

01 blazer and 99 ford explorer???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

I think the longer wheelbase trailblazer came with a 5.3 v8 as an option not sure but I know the GMC envoy which is the same thing had a v8 option

Old 01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 5.3L was optional in all EXT (GMT370) models since they first began production in 2003. The short wheel base (GMT360) trucks didn't get the 5.3L v8 until 2005, but it was slow to take off. The gap between the 5.3L v8 and 4.2L I6 was only ~30HP and 50ft-lbs of torque prior to 2005; and after it was only ~12HP/50ft-lbs. Not many ordered their GMT360 w/ the optional v8 which got worse gas mileage.

Having driven both, the v8 optioned truck did not seem to get off the line the same as the I6 truck(both vehicles I have test driven had the same final drive ratio - 3.73:1 and were both the same year - 2007 brand new on the dealer lot). One benefit that I could see to the v8 is the aftermarket support that there is for the LS series engines.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I find this kind of funny because I have an 01 Blazer and my best friend has a 99 Exploder. They are actually kinda the same in my opinion, same options on the inside. Almost the same locations too. But my Blazer is faster, more reliable, and it's made by GM. His sits a little higher but the Blazer can go through more mud

Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by filoblazer
hi
im kinda new here and just wondering are the ford explorer the same as the 01 blazer?? The body is kinda the same but just different motor, just curious

btw are the ford explorer another name for blazers?
In my driveway, i have both a '99 Blazer & a '99 Explorer.

Like chalk & cheese! LOL Being Aussie, you're comparing Ford vs Holden!

Both the Blazer & Exploder were built in the US. But the Blazer was built for export to Japan, the UK & South Africa. That's where all Kiwi & Aussie Blazers came from. The Exploders were imported & sold as new vehicles here & in Aus as well I believe. Ford did not at the time have an SUV but rather promoted their ute's. Holden had the Monterey (aka Isuzu Bighorn/Wizard, Vauxhall something & Opel something - we have them all here) SUV's & that's why no Blazer or Holden variation of the Blazer.

By the way, did you get all the parts you were looking for? I know Bunce supplied the tailgate switch. If I recall correctly.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 AM
filoblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
In my driveway, i have both a '99 Blazer & a '99 Explorer.

Like chalk & cheese! LOL Being Aussie, you're comparing Ford vs Holden!

Both the Blazer & Exploder were built in the US. But the Blazer was built for export to Japan, the UK & South Africa. That's where all Kiwi & Aussie Blazers came from. The Exploders were imported & sold as new vehicles here & in Aus as well I believe. Ford did not at the time have an SUV but rather promoted their ute's. Holden had the Monterey (aka Isuzu Bighorn/Wizard, Vauxhall something & Opel something - we have them all here) SUV's & that's why no Blazer or Holden variation of the Blazer.

By the way, did you get all the parts you were looking for? I know Bunce supplied the tailgate switch. If I recall correctly.
yeah thanks mate my mech end up fixing it didnt take long. the clip broke so he just made one will post pic of my blazer soon just had no time

Old 01-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by packofqtips
the explorers with the v8's were larger ones
they are mid-sized suvs. the new trailblazers are also mid-sized now too
Originally Posted by blajeans
Are you really sure about that? I got a friend that have a Ford Explorer -99 with an V8 and itīs pretty much the same size as mine Blazer. He got a 2nd gen Explorer and according to him itīs not unusual at all in US with Explorers with V8īs.
With new Trailblazers, do you mean the model after ours? If so, is it common with V8 in that model?

V8 explorer's are the same size.............no difference in size......atleast in the 2nd generations....they came with the 5.0 V8.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:06 AM
Beginning Member
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr is on a distinguished road

It may sound shocking at first, but the Argentinian Ranger and the Brazilian S10 and Blazer shared an engine for a while. It was the 2.5L Maxion HSD engine, which had also been used in early Argentinian Sprinters.

Regarding the 4.6 V8 from the Explorer and the 4.3 V6 from the Blazer, I'd still rather get the Blazer. Though the displacement is a little smaller, the V6 has fewer internal frictions.