General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

'91 Blazer 2 door Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Beginning Member
Project_95_Blazer is on a distinguished road

not much is beyond your mechanical knowledge as long as you have patience, common sense, and basic tools. just yesterday we dropped the tranny from a 92 s-10 with nothing but a hand box of tools 4 jack stands and a small canadian tire jack. not necessarily as fun as it could have been but most jobs are capable of being done with minimal tools. especially on anything pre-90's

Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

If the 4wd doesn't work, which is very possible, is there some common problem on these transfer cases? I'm pretty sure it's the lever one not the push-button. Probably a dumb question, so please bear with me. And I really hope this doesn't make me sound dumber, but to put it in 4 high, does it have to be moving or in gear or anything?
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your advice!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Manual tranny needs an alignement tool to replace the clutch. Otherwise its pretty easy.

aw crap I forgot your other question. now I have to edit my post.

More than likely the 4x4 problem is a bad vacuum hose or the vacuum actuator, both easy to fix. Look for a thread in DIY labeld 4x4 no worky or something like that. Like 12,000hits.

How far do you have to drive it?
IF not too far or too fast 3 lug nuts will hold the tire on, just be carefull of pot holes and the like.

Last edited by Hanr3; 07-26-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

It's about 120 miles away so I was going to look into maybe getting a dolly and towing it back with the transfer case in neutral if the studs were broken off one right next to another. That seems like it would put a lot of stress on the others for that distance

Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nineTnine
Thank you guys so much, I'm really wanting this Blazer but the studs posed a problem cuz i couldn't drive it home. Now all I'm waiting on is the guy to tell me if the clutch has ever been replaced, I've heard that's a job well out of my mechanical knowledge
bah, they're really not that hard. i should know, i had the driveline outta my Jimmy 4......5.......maybe 6 times (don't ask. i was hard on her.)

you don't even need to seperate the t-case fro the trans to remove them.

it's tight-really tight-but doable. you just gotta know where to shove stuff.