General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

93 astro 4.3 in a toyota!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member
Tubais is on a distinguished road
Default 93 astro 4.3 in a toyota!!!!

Hello all hope it is ok i post this...

Anyways i have this rig and it has a code for the electronic spark module what I've found is that there is good grounds to the body and the battery, however i haven't found the module yet lol!!! or the knock sensor " but i did find the knock sensor wire" Will the knock sensor being unplugged give you the check engine light? And make it run poorly?

The rig does go into closed loop, but runs like crap and with the after market fan it is either on or off (temperatures idling is 130 with the fan on) way to low imo....
I read online that the knock sensor is supposed to be by the passenger motor mount but it isn't there.. (any other places to look) What other systems does the spark module control?

Thanks for reading any info would be greatly appriciated

Old 01-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Beginning Member

sorry was trying to put this in gen 1 forum

Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tubais
Hello all hope it is ok i post this...

Anyways i have this rig and it has a code for the electronic spark module what I've found is that there is good grounds to the body and the battery, however i haven't found the module yet lol!!! or the knock sensor " but i did find the knock sensor wire" Will the knock sensor being unplugged give you the check engine light? And make it run poorly?

The rig does go into closed loop, but runs like crap and with the after market fan it is either on or off (temperatures idling is 130 with the fan on) way to low imo....
I read online that the knock sensor is supposed to be by the passenger motor mount but it isn't there.. (any other places to look) What other systems does the spark module control?

Thanks for reading any info would be greatly appriciated
I cant help you with the specifics but I can say that a good knowledgeable person wants the codes, not what someone says they mean.
And 130 IS too low, even at idle, with heater off. Can only be the thermostat IF engine goes into closed loop at about 170 or so. Else your gauge and/or gauge sender is off.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yes 130 is too low. needs to be at least 180.

the knock sensor on the cpi is on the drivers side under the manifold. I believe with this unplugged the timing will be pulled back which can cause lack power power etc.

"electronic spark module" you mean the ignition control module? its in the distributor. You have to remove the cap,and you will see a black box looking thing that the wires plug into behind the distributor. Buy only ac delco brand,the other aftermarkets fail prematurely.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Beginning Member

I know its running way too cold and thanks for the replies..
I was looking under the hood and found the connector for the knock sensor but can't find the sensor.. I went through the locator book and i think it's supposed to be by the passenger side engine mount, but since this is a swap I think the port into the block is covered but a home adapter....
As far as the Electronic Spark control Module I think it looks like the link I posted.. I figured I should make sure everything is at least connected since this looks to be kinda hashed....

Duralast/Electronic Spark Control Module (ESC105) | AutoZone.com

Thx