Go Back  Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > General > General Chat
Reload this Page >

99 GMC Jimmy Luggage Rack Cross-Member Removal?

General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

99 GMC Jimmy Luggage Rack Cross-Member Removal?

  #1  
Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Beginning Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
BeaterJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default 99 GMC Jimmy Luggage Rack Cross-Member Removal?

Hello all,

I want to remove these stinkin cross members of the factory luggage rack to repaint them but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they pop out. I've tried angling them out, sliding back, forward... how do they come out of there?
 
  #2  
Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 AM
cleburne red's Avatar
BF Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,270
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally Posted by BeaterJimmy View Post
Hello all,

I want to remove these stinkin cross members of the factory luggage rack to repaint them but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they pop out. I've tried angling them out, sliding back, forward... how do they come out of there?
If it's like the luggage rack on my 95, you have to unbolt the whole thing from the roof. Then they'll come out
 
  #3  
Old 12-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
BeaterJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by cleburne red View Post
If it's like the luggage rack on my 95, you have to unbolt the whole thing from the roof. Then they'll come out
I just looked up a picture of a 95 and it looks exactly the same. So, if it's not too much of a hassle to remove it's probably a good idea anyway since there is no way repainting just the cross members would end up matching.

hopefully theres a video out there somewhere of the process.
 
  #4  
Old 12-26-2018, 10:58 PM
New Member
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 56
Nola 77 is on a distinguished road
Default Rack disassembly

You have to remove the rack then remove the end pieces. The crossbars are mounted to plastic sliding brackets. These slide all the way out of the main tubes once the base bracket is removed
 
  #5  
Old 12-27-2018, 06:32 AM
Beginning Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
BeaterJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by Nola 77 View Post
You have to remove the rack then remove the end pieces. The crossbars are mounted to plastic sliding brackets. These slide all the way out of the main tubes once the base bracket is removed
Thank you!
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DiffBuster
Paint, Body, & Interior
2
08-24-2013 07:03 AM
Sparky8542
Paint, Body, & Interior
1
08-24-2013 12:38 AM
TomSawyer
Paint, Body, & Interior
2
09-12-2012 09:22 PM
jaybird33081
Paint, Body, & Interior
1
05-23-2011 09:51 AM
Scuba65
Paint, Body, & Interior
12
05-06-2007 11:46 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 GMC Jimmy Luggage Rack Cross-Member Removal?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.