General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Acetone???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 AM
roadkillracer is on a distinguished road

G'day, Back when e85 started showing up around here we had people filling their non flex fuel cars with it thinking they were really saving some money. It didn't take long for the e85 to cause some damage. I remember selling a lot of injector o-ring kits, injectors, and fuel hose.

I have also noticed that "modern" gas seems to go flat much faster than in the past especially with the winter blends. It seems that you get that varnish stench in a couple of months rather than years. The 10% alcohol also causes trouble in small engines around here, especially snow blowers.

All in all though, I can't see a few ounces of acetone per 10 or more gallons of gas doing much of anything. I may have to try a similar experiment with a controlled mix of acetone and gas and see what it does to o-rings and fuel line.

ms

Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I did experimentation with Acetone on my '91 C1500, 4.3 TBI, 2wd, and logged the data. I can't find the data I recorded, but there was no significant difference. There's more MPG to be found with engine tuning and other tricks.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM
dak2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Time for an update. The things I put in the acetone on Saturday are still there. I pulled everything out and as far as I can tell there are no negative side effects so far. The O-rings did swell up a little bit. When I saw that I looked at the package for them and it specifically said that they are not fuel line O-rings. That explains why they swelled up. Since they did swell without cracking, breaking, or disappearing I will continue with the experiment. I still think this test is valid because none of the other rubber fuel system components are experiencing any kind of negative side effects. At the end of the day I figure that if the parts hold up in 100% acetone for a week then that should equal years at a 3oz to 13gal ratio.

If when I try this out as a road test I get positive results I will do a more in depth experiment to determine negative side effects. For that experiment I will take mason jars and fill them with the gas/acetone mixture and put in fuel system components. That would be monitored for much longer then a week.

Last edited by dak2007; 09-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Starting Member
89 Blazer Lebanon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dak2007
Beginning the experiment. I put a piece of vacuum line, 2 o-rings, a piece of a fuel line splice, and a plastic fuel line connector in a container and filled it with 100% pure acetone. If everything is still there in a week and not completely FUBAR I will move onto road tests. I picked the things that I did because I felt like these would be the most likely to be effected by the acetone. I don't have any old spark plugs laying around or an old gasket. I feel that the vacuum line will represent the gasket fairly well. If someone is following this and wouldn't mind testing a gasket it would be awesome. If anyone has suggestions on things to throw into the soup let me know.
Did you close the container during the soaking period so the acetone keeps its "strength"?
And regarding the driving test; are you doing the test to see if it improves mpg by cleaning the fuel system and components, or by improving the fuel mixture? If it's the "system cleaning", then maybe you need to wait after the acetone use for 2 further full tanks use before you can check the mpg

Last edited by 89 Blazer Lebanon; 09-29-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM

It was in a sealed container. I'm testing it as a mixture more so then a cleaner. I was thinking about running it for a bit and then checking the mpgs without it to see if there was a difference.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I have used it in several vehicles over the years. No bad effects came from using it. Some vehicles I noticed a slight mileage increase. You only use a few ounces in a tank.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I've ran a car on moonshine but it ate up everything rubber pretty fast. Didn't do any long term studies but it seemed to drink that stuff faster than gas. Then again maybe it was us drinking it and not putting as much in the tank each time.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 PM

So I put the first thing of Acetone in the tank. Prior to doing that I averaged out my gas for the past bit and I'm getting between 14-16mpg. I will keep everyone posted on if and how much it increases due to the Acetone.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago in eastern Oregon I was up by Anthony lakes west of Baker City and ran very low on gas,I had two gallons of white gas in the camper-guess what I did! It worked! It got us out of the woods in a single tank 78 GMC to a little town called Dale! And the truck had no adverse effects at all! We still laugh about that one!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

i have tryed about all the MPG tricks out there are and none of them gave any significant gains, any gains that were made was eaten up in additional costs for product or additive.. the only real and very noticable gain is removing the ethonal from the gas, there is a 3-5 MPG increase,
so it seems our wonderfull government stuck it to us once again, increase
fuel cost plus reduce the MPG, way to Mr. President that won a Nobel Peace prize
Oh, and he wants to make our fuel prices equall to that in Europe, just a heads up