General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer swing out rear tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Starting Member
Heckler4 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer swing out rear tire carrier

Greetings and good morning to all. I am in search of a GM style swing out rear tire carrier. I am currently restoring a 1987 Chevrolet Suburban 4X4 V10 Suburban and I'm trying to recreate the Suburban used in the movie "Dante's Peak". Just a little over two years of a frame off restoration and it's been one of the hardest to restore due to it's size and me doing most of the work by myself. The rear tire carrier ( I know the Burbs NEVER had a factory one installed) from what I can dig up on the internet was made by Hickey. I could not find a 1987 Suburban with a tailgate, so, I had to settle with the cargo style doors. It's ok by me since I drove a 1994 Suburban 4X4 for 19 years, 300,000 miles within the US and it had cargo doors. Anyhow, I am not a big fan of hanging a 15 inch tire the way this tire carrier was designed to be used BUT, I do need one to complete the restoration. One question I DO have is how far left from the right side tail light does the carrier mount (Tire location) go on the door? I don't want to purchase something this big and heavy and have to send it back if the mount area ends up where the cargo doors come together. Any measurements and pictures would be SUPER!! Any information from you all would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks to all you GM/Chevy lovers as my first car was a 1958 Chevrolet Biscayne, 283 with three on the tree. This was the last car my father bought brand new. Be safe out there and have a super weekend!!!!