General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Bravada Tranny Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Starting Member
jsservin12 is on a distinguished road
Default Bravada Tranny Slipping

I just recently got a 98 Oldsmobile Bravada, The guy I got it from mentioned the shifting issue after driving for an hour, and I was OK with that but here within the past week it's been getting a lot worse. Kinda concerned about the price of getting it fixed. I have a 4 year old and we're ALWAYS on the go and don't need to break down or anything. Now on top of that, I think I also might need to get new wheel bearings. My usual mechanic is going to charge me an arm, both legs and then some. Is there anyway to fix the problems properly but on the cheaper side?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

*Thinking this needs to be moved to Gen Tech Help*

Assuming you haven't, you need to check the transmission fluid to see if that's the reason for the slipping. If the fluid level is fine or burnt, you are probably looking at either replacing or rebuilding, but it will not be cheap. If its just low, you may be lucky and just be able to add some to stop the slipping, but then you need to find the leak. On the wheel bearing, I recently replaced on and it wasn't extremely difficult if you have the proper tools. Plus many of the garages in my area wouldn't charge ridiculously to replace one but that I have no idea about your area. You may just need to shop around mechanics.

At the end of the day, you are have a 16 year old vehicle. They will have their challenges, especially if not maintained by previous owners.