General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Brazil Diesel Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
sledzepplin is on a distinguished road
Default Brazil Diesel Motors?

I have a possible connection on a OEM GM Brazilian 2.XL diesel engine...... (with a blazer/jimmy tag on it)

My Blazer: 2005 4.3l v6 4wd 2dr

Does anyone have any information or know who to contact regarding what would be involved in the conversion process and if it would bolt right in???

I assume this engine was specced for either the -12 blazer or the 2013 blazer....

What should I look into before considering the project?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Is the engine coming with all the electronics as well? ECM and all that stuff? I'm betting that you'd be looking at a lot of the same work as doing any other diesel swap, like a Cummins 4BT or B3.3T.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject because it really interests me, but I seriously doubt I'll be able to pursue it in the near future. Time and money constraints among others. The Cummins B3.3T is extremely interesting to me. I've been reading a thread over on www.dieseltruckresource.com where a few guys have swapped this engine into Jeeps and a Sonoma. They're reporting mileage around 35mpg, which is amazing to me. The thread is here.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Memory serves me correct its a 2.8 isuzu diesel. Unless you can get the whole truck you gonna have nightmares exporting the little parts. You live anyplace that has emmisions testing or just visual testing explaining why an engine not offered over here is in a truck speced for over here.

Those lil 3b and 3bts have plates on the side stating not for highway use. Farmers use them for water pumps here but by the time they ready to get rid of them they scrap iron.

I wish gm would have went ahead with the duramax program. Had a v6 and smaller v8 in plans for 1/2 ton trucks but dropped the research.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

the duramax is a GM/Isuzu. "Made by GM, designed by Isuzu." its basically an Isuzu motor. all the same in the end. anyway.

if you went with an old Cummins, you dont need any computers. they are all mechanical.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The duramax is isuzu based and gm redesigned and built.

The other ones are isuzu built and gm installed.

Cummings put food on my table growing up and I love em but they are heavy, the popular 4bt is hard to find, when ya can find them they are costly to buy.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 PM
sledzepplin is on a distinguished road

Its a brand new crate engine, but if you guys say it will be a pain working out all the small parts it might not be worth it...

I had budgeted $1000 for parts for the conversion, but from everything here so far you guys are hinting that may not be enough.... (and be hard justifying beyond that $1000 parts mark)

(the only thing i am not too concerned with is the emission stuff)

Thanks for the engine info though!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Not saying it wouldn't be a cool project, but deciding if it's worth it is up to you. It depends on how much you want to work at sourcing parts, fabricating parts, and being extremely creative to get it all working. It's possible, but it's not going to be a simple drop in and go job.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Not saying it wouldn't be a cool project, but deciding if it's worth it is up to you. It depends on how much you want to work at sourcing parts, fabricating parts, and being extremely creative to get it all working. It's possible, but it's not going to be a simple drop in and go job.
thats kinda how i look at it, how hard is it to find parts for it? so if something stupid like a glow plug goes out are you going to have to wait a week for it to be shipped in or are parts compatible with other engines so you can find them at autozone.

its kinda the same thing with audi's saab's and other weird cars like that, everything is expensive, always have to order everything or come straight from the dealer

Old 01-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr is on a distinguished road

Diesels used in Brazilian Blazers are not related to Isuzu. The 2.5L was based on old projects from Rover, while the 2.8L was developed in Brazil by MWM, a company which became affiliated to Navistar either in late-90s or early-2000s. The 2.5L is not bad at all but the absence of an intercooler might be an inconvenience, and the 2.8L had been available in a mechanically-governed version from '99 to 2005 and with common-rail from 2005 to 2011.