General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Brush Guard

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Starting Member
JS_blazer is on a distinguished road

Sisk was saying that it make be dis-proportional and the lights are different. that link I put for JC Whitney, it says it's for a 95 blazer

EDIT:
and also, will I still be able to use my recovery hooks??

Last edited by JS_blazer; 12-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Starting Member
Dbrown843 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JS_blazer

EDIT:
and also, will I still be able to use my recovery hooks??
No you wont be able to. The recovery hooks is now the brush guard. the only way that i know is possible, is if you were to get longer bolts. and cut the bottom of the bumper.
just my 2cents.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past

but you can use the guard as your hook if need be.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Dan, that first link you posted was for a bull bar. The OP was looking for a brush guard.

As mentioned you lose your town hooks. The brush guard bolts into the holes used for the tow hooks. But as FlatTop mentioned you now gain the entire brush guard as a tow hook. I wouldn't recommend hooked up to the top of the brush guard though. They tend to flex a bit and you risk breaking it.

As for a 98+ fitting a 95. As I mentioned I think the proportions would look funny. Especially with that one from ebay you posted. The angles would look funny IMO since the headlights on the 95's are a lot smaller and a lot less curved then the 98+. Someone on the forum has a brush guard like that on their 95 (can't remember the name of the guy right now). It's extremely noticeable that it's not for a 95 and it looks horrible IMO. It's far too wide for the truck and just doesn't look right at all. I'll see if I can dig up the pics.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Starting Member

but could I use longer bolts and have my recovery hooks AND guard?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JS_blazer
but could I use longer bolts and have my recovery hooks AND guard?
No. There isn't enough room there, plus the brush guard wouldn't mount right with the hooks there
I don't know why you're worried about it? You're gaining a bigger and better tow hook by putting a brush guard on. You will have no problems being recovered if that's what you're worried about. If anything it will be a hell of a lot easier then your tow hooks because you will have more to rope on to.

Last edited by Sisk; 12-09-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

as for using the hooks AND the guard...
Originally Posted by Dbrown843
the only way that i know is possible, is if you were to get longer bolts and cut the bottom of the bumper.
emphasis added

i would NOT use the brush guard as a tow point for anything other than moving it it to a shop or to a buddy's house kind of thing. I HIGHLY doubt it will hold up the way the solid steel hooks will to tugging and pulling in an off road/mud/snow/wet sand situation. If you plan to use the hook AND guard method AND intend to do a lot of being pulled, put the hooks on first THEN the guard. it might change the way it sits, bu tthe hooks will be a bit stronger pulling on the center of a bolt, as opposed to pulling against the head of a bolt.....

before attempting to tow, go to a junky yard find a blazer/pathfinder/passport and yank on the bumper. feel it move? now imagine putting more than just your body weight behind that. goodbye guard.
but you'll hook it up low right? still no good. even if you tie off to BOTH mounting points and equalize the rope so it pulls with the same force on both points even if the rope shifts left and right, you will still put toomuch force on it.

Last edited by ABN31B; 12-09-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: IT CUT OFF MY POST
Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Starting Member
Dbrown843 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
as for using the hooks AND the guard...
emphasis added

i would NOT use the brush guard as a tow point for anything other than moving it it to a shop or to a buddy's house kind of thing. I HIGHLY doubt it will hold up the way the solid steel hooks will to tugging and pulling in an off road/mud/snow/wet sand situation. If you plan to use the hook AND guard method AND intend to do a lot of being pulled, put the hooks on first THEN the guard. it might change the way it sits, bu tthe hooks will be a bit stronger pulling on the center of a bolt, as opposed to pulling against the head of a bolt.....

before attempting to tow, go to a junky yard,%

see the whole thing is a brush guard, is no where as strong as the recovery hooks. The brush guard will bend like its from hell.
No matter how big you get it, or how strong,
i had to get pulled out last week, and the hummer BENT my tow hooks.
and i mean i was stuck,
so if your planning on doing some real offroading, i would cut the bumper and add the hooks, cause if not say bye bye mr. brush guard.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Starting Member

i may just use the guard and get my dad to re-enforce everything with 3" pipe. he's an amazing welder

Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

DBrown: thats what i was thinking. you'd end up with a powder coated heap of scrap metal when it was done being yanked off your front end. BUT you would be able to bolt the hooks back on after wards if you had a wrench on hand

if he's an amazing welder, just have him fab up 2 mounting backets that mount to you frame BEHIND the hooks, and on the OUTSIDE of you frame rails.

that is how i will be mounting my brush guard, since it is not for a blazer, and i dont know where to get a mounting kit. sadly, my amazing welder neighbor just moved and now i have to wait for him to get settled before cashing in the favor of whipping those up. now you have the guard AND the hooks are still in the factory mounted position

Last edited by ABN31B; 12-09-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Brush Guard