General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Cruisin'

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 PM
sgp7679 is on a distinguished road
Cool Cruisin'

I just learned that my truck has cruise control. I dont know how to work it because the lettering on the arm wore off. I know theres a switch and a button on the end of the arm. how do I work the control?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

What are you driving? We can help a whole lot more with that information.

If it's the same as mine (2000 Blazer), the first (all the way to the left) notch on the switch on top is OFF. The second notch is ON. To set it you drive to the desired speed and depress the button on the end of the stalk. To turn it off completely, move the switch on top back all the way to the left for OFF. To temporarily disable it while driving, tap the brake pedal. To RESUME cruise after tapping the brake, push and release the switch on top one more to the right. To accelerate while still in cruise without touching the gas, HOLD the switch on top all the way to the right (RESUME).

If you're driving a different year, it will most likely will be pretty close to that as most GMs were the same, if not very similar.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road

Should be a three-position switch. The outermost position is OFF. The middle position is ON, and the innermost (spring-loaded) position is RESUME.

To hold a speed: Turn the system on. Get to the speed you want. Push the SET button once to set the speed. The system will hold that speed until you disengage it.

To disengage the system: Either turn it OFF with the switch or apply the brakes (even a little tap will do). The cruise will no longer hold the set speed.

To resume the previously set speed: Push the switch to the spring-loaded RESUME position, then release. If a speed is in memory, the truck will resume it.

To disable the system: Turn it OFF with the switch. Any previously set speed will be lost.

To accelerate with the system active: Push the switch to the RESUME position. Hold it until the desired speed is reached.

To decelerate with the system active: Push and hold the SET button.

The cruise won't engage below about 35 MPH. Depending on the vintage, it may or may not retain the set speed if you use the brakes to slow below that point, and it may or may not be able to be bumped in 1 MPH increments by tapping the SET or RESUME buttons.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 PM

its an 87 s10 blazer, well i tried it on my street and it didnt work, then i just read your post that it doesnt work under 35 so ill go try on the highway.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM

will the cruise not work if my speedo doesn't work?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Starting Member

Nope. The cruise control must know how fast you're going, and that comes from the speedometer.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 PM

o, ok that explains it. thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Starting Member

That will help you diagnose the speedometer problem, though. I think you'll find there's a speedometer cable going to the cruise control servo in the engine compartment (it'll also have a vacuum line, and a cable going to the throttle body). Trace that back to the other end, and do the same with the cable from the speedometer in the dash. Your problem will be common to both.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jmaynard
The cruise won't engage below about 35 MPH.
must be a defect in American trucks.

i can (and have) set my cruise for just under 40km/h (just under 25mp/h).

don't ask why, but i've done it a few times.